Last Week of School, Second Term


The second term, my first, ended last week. It was a time of getting use to the school and the school getting use to me. Last week I was able to spend time with some of the kids in the library on Monday and Wednesday. Tuesday was kite flying and outdoor games. Thursday I needed to stay home and on Fridays we had a teacher’s outing at a beach.

The week was good. Tuesday was nice seeing the kids with kites – most were made at home, although some purchased. A good use was made of those ubiquitous plastic bags that come in various colors around Grenville.

I had never seen this style of kite, but they fly pretty well in light wind. I’m told this is kite flying season and I’ve seen several aloft over the weekend. Next year I might try to make my favorite kite, a delta. I’ll need to get bamboo split and cured in the mean time.


Ready for take off

Launch!

A big field for kite flying

OK - who wants to play cricket?
Batter up

Follow through on a hit

I was happy with the children in the library last week. I had some one on one time with a student. Then, during lunch time it was the students’ favorite game of word bingo. They like to play and tolerate my attempts to add additional literacy activities – such as using the word in a sentence or say a different word with the same letter. I was also able to have about 8 well behaved students read quietly around the tables while I worked with individuals or pairs. Near the end of the day on Wednesday I was had a couple of students work together on their own. So, something to build on next term.

Is this a big enough book to read Mr. John?

Helping with reading

Beach

I finally made it to the beach!! Friday was with the teachers at Hope Beach. On Saturday I meet up with another Peace Corps volunteer, also named John. His sister was visiting and they decided to go to La Sagesse beach – as that is closer to many of the volunteers on the south of the island. A nice beach and the first time I got in the ocean around this island. Certainly, not the last time.

View from the deck.

Beach with a nice amount of waves

Made it in the water - John and John - 50+ PCVs working hardly

Longer view of the beach


I have two weeks off: Easter holiday. I’ll have to complete a metrics report for Peace Corps, work on an “in service” for teachers about reading comprehension and I a few other activities during my time off.

Happy Easter to those celebrating...


Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training