Why not just volunteer in this country?

I’m leaving a job with decent pay and benefits, a nice middle class suburban house, my friends, and family to live and work with people I don’t yet know in a place I don’t yet know.  I'll be gone for 27 months.  During that time I don’t expect I’ll be able to take my nice hot morning showers, will likely not have dependable electricity, and figure I'll be sick with one form a parasite or something at least until my 55 year old body becomes acclimated to the new environment.

And I’m totally exciting about taking this next step !!!!

I’ve applied to the Peace Corps and have been nominated to teach secondary math or science in Africa.  When the invite comes I may find out I’ll be doing something else on a different continent.

Taking to family and friends about my decision I've gotten a range of response.  Most people easily pick up on my excitement and share my enthusiasm.  Some worry about my physical health and safety.  Others may wonder about my mental health.  Some visibly shake at the idea of living in third world conditions.

All have questions. The two most common questions are related:

Why the Peace Corps?
Why not volunteer someplace in this country?

I've tried to answer the first question in a previous post.  

Why not volunteer in this country?

There are certainly many opportunities and significant need for service in this country.  I currently volunteer for the Society of St. Vincent de Paul.  In the past I've volunteered for the Red Cross local disaster services, Habitat for Humanity, and other groups and activities.

I'm too old for AmeriCorps but just old enough for Senior Corps (see The National Service Website for these and other opportunities).

Yes, our country needs more people helping people and there are many many opportunities.

I hope to pursue some of these opportunities after completing my Peace Corps service and think I will be a better volunteer for the experience, just as my previous volunteering has helped prepare me for the Peace Corps.  

I've found volunteering to be frequently hard and frustrating.  However, I've always found volunteering very rewarding and worth the difficulties.  I encourage anyone reading this post to consider volunteering.  It is a great way to be happier.

My reasons for choosing the Peace Corps 

I’m looking for a longer term full time volunteering opportunity.  There are fewer people able to spend 27 months away from home, family, and friends.  At this point in my life - I am one of those people.  It does not seem right to take an easier route if I can take a more challenging route.  Why else are we here if not to learn to love and help others in challenging situations?

I want to show people in another country that Americans can be helpful, kind, and willing to learn new things.  I want to learn about another culture to better understand our world and my beliefs and priorities.  I like the mission and ideals of the Peace Corps.

Wherever I go, whatever I do, I expect to learn more than what I will teach.  I hope to learn to live more simply and to be more dependent on the community.  I could learn these in the United States, but I certainly have to learn them in a Peace Corps posting.

I expect to make lasting friendships with people, young and old, who share my desire to help others.  The experience with broaden from friendships and connections.

Practically speaking the stipend and health coverage as a Peace Corps volunteer will help make ends meet as I’m still a few years away from normal retirement.

For all these reasons I think the Peace Corps is a good fit for me at this time in my life.  Additionally, I think God is directing me down this path.

I recognize that the Peace Corps is not for everyone.  I don’t know if it is really for me – but I am eager to see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training