Cultural Competition - Upper West Region

Note: I'm at an in-service training in Accra – so I don't have much time for this post. However, we did have a pretty interesting event in town this week – told mainly through pictures this time.

The school districts in the Upper West Region come together for a cultural display on competition. This year it was held in Nandom. Students, young and old came to compete.


It was all very interesting. 


Tradition dance competitions were between older students mainly.
The dances in the sun lasted about 10 minutes each - very hot - but the dancers kept going.
There was also poetry recitals.  Some were in English and some in the local language
(Not necessarily Dagaree)
Some dances were traditional story telling dances.
It did not go well for the antelope.
There were also plays in English and the local language - some of the younger students participated
The theme for the competition was Peace, Unity, and Hard Work leads to Development for Ghana
The young students were engaging and entertaining
An interesting competition was the talking drums - two drums with some sort of morse code like language
This was the only female drummer in the competition.
Also on display was cultural arts and crafts.
Toys built from tin cans is very common in Ghana


I enjoyed the event although it did take away from school.  During the week I will in media training the students will have review (revision).  They will take their tests when I return.

Health


Nothing new to report health wise - I'm fine with only minor things.  I'll likely see the doctor while I'm in Accra and then next month for my midservice physical.


Love always,

John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training