Media IST


This past week I took part in a media training and production week in Accra. About 30 Peace Corps Volunteers (PCVs) attended the week long session. We had 25 from Ghana and invited PCV for countries in the region wanting to start a media group – Tanzania, Senegal, and Malawi. We also had two people from the headquarters: Meleia and Emily.

I was the only 50+ volunteer and I felt like the only volunteer without recent video, audio, or editing experience. However, most volunteers did not have experience in all three areas of production so we were all there to learn.


The week was divided into about a day of training and then working on multi-media projects. Most of the time was spent on filming and editing videos. I worked on three projects for the rest of the week.

One of the projects was for the new Peace Corps Pledge that Meleia wrote. We produced a video that looks really nice. I think it will be posted on the offical Peace Corps channel – but I don't know when. I'll post an update if I hear about the link as I'm in the video with other volunteers.


The official announcement for the new pledge is at: Volunteer Oath and Pledge - Final

The pledge is just six lines:


I first, last name promise to serve alongside the people of Country of Service.

I promise to share my culture with an open heart and open mind.

I promise to foster an understanding of the people of Country of Service, with creativity, cultural sensitivity, and respect.

I will face the challenges of service with patience, humility, and determination.

I will embrace the mission of world peace and friendship for as long as I serve and beyond. In the proud tradition of Peace Corps’ legacy, and in the spirit of the Peace Corps family past, present, and future-

I am a Peace Corps Volunteer.

I also worked on a series of podcasts about Peace Corps service. I participated in a panel discussion on the methods to communicate with family and friends back in the states. Blogging was one of the methods mentioned in the discussion. As the token 50+ PCV I also did a segment about volunteering from my perspective.

Finally, I pitched an idea about younger and 50+ volunteers being the same and different. It was accepted, but delayed behind other projects that needed more resources. I worked with the younger volunteers (the only ones available :-) to refine the script and during filming we changed a few things. The idea was to have an older and younger volunteer sitting at a table discussing how they are the same and different. An example exchange is:


John in casual dress and Angela in a nice dress during filming.

Older: We both have financial worries after service. I don't know how long my retirements savings will last
Younger: And I don't know how long it will take to pay off my student loan.


With limited resources we had less then one hour to film everything. Another volunteer took the raw video and audio for the editing – I hear she is finished and happy with the results but I don't know when I will be able to see it. I'll also post a link when I get it.


Rabbits cages


I was able to put an initial coat of paint on the frame and I hope to have enough paint to add a second coat once I put the wire down. My next step is to put the wire for the floor. I need to cut the welded mesh and then add the “rabbit wire” for the floors. I'll then put the wire on the back, then the sides and cage dividers, and finally the top. The wire for the back and the sides will need additional boards to keep everything snug and even.


Paint job

After the wire and possibly making the doors the next step will be to get some people to carry it out to the intended location and put the zinc roof on. I hope to have everything done before I leave for Samantha's wedding and my visit home the middle of next month. Less than a month away !!!!


Health


We had all our meals catered at the media IST so we had salads and fried chicken and fried fish along with rice or such. The diet was much richer and different from my normal meals. I had problems with my stomach, actually a little beyond my stomach but I don't want to go into details – we call it running in Ghana. I was not the only one with this particular problem so perhaps it was something in the food. Anyway, I was a little uncomfortable during the training and a little worried about the long trip, but I took some medicine the shut everything down for the trip and made it fine.



Love always,


John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training