Medical Application Portal - Peace Corps

Affectionately know as MAP

The medical team seems to be a great bunch of people - their job is to make sure the volunteers are healthy enough to serve 27 months overseas in nearly third world conditions.  They work hard to understand the needs of volunteers and place people where those needs can be accommodated.

I'm going to use this post as a summary for all things MAP.  I do realize that a blog is normally in chronological order and I promise - once I get to Ghana - I'll adhere to that common practice.

Things to consider before you get invited

I'm 55 and when I was in college and just out of school for a few years I did not visit the dentist.  I even paid for dental insurance at work for a couple of years and did not go.   Yes, yes, not so bright and I've been paying for it ever sense.  Kids - brush your teeth, floss even though it is a pain, and see the dentist regularly so it will not be such a pain in the long run.

Anyway - I've got some teeth issues and talked with my dentist 6 months ago about my plans for Peace Corps.  We decided on what would need to be done and got started on it.  I've waited to finish up the dental stuff until the new year because insurance only covers so much in a year.  But I'm glad I got started - because I would not have had time to get it all done if I had waited for the invite.  You need your mouth is good shape so you will still be able to chew solid food for 27 months with minimal dental care.  

Peace Corps asks everyone, even 55 year old men, about wisdom teeth.  Since some dental stuff takes a little bit to heal it is good if you can get a head start.  If you think you might have some major stuff to do - you will want to get started while waiting for the invite.

Let the fun begin once you've accepted the invite 

One of the first emails you get after you accept the invite tell you that you have MAP tasks.  The email also gives your Medical Case Number (which I overlooked the first time like an idiot) - that goes on each sheet.

Each task has a PDF file.  I ended up printing them all off and then organizing files as I got the corresponding paperwork.  I'm easily overwhelmed with the task to I have a lot of folders in the computer and on my desk.
 
Once you have the paperwork done you scan them back in so they can be uploaded to MAP.  Each file needs to be less that 5 MB and you can only upload 5 files regardless of size.  Include all the files you need before hitting submit.

The software "scan to pdf" trial version has been a lifesaver.  I just about did the "office space thing" with my scanner even after I found software that works better than the HP driver.  

If you are over 50 it is probably a good idea to send a message to medical reminding them that additional tasks will need to be done sooner or later.

January 25th - working through the paperwork and mistakes

I decided to submit my paperwork as I get it done - so I had already gotten MMR done before the invite because I knew it would be coming (and I needed the titers because I got my MMR immunity the old fashion way).

The shots like yellow fever and polio and such are fairly easy to upload.

Unfortunately, I uploaded my MMR to the wrong task - so I had to message MAP explaining the problem and the very nice nurse opened up a new tasks for I could try in again.

I printed all the medical forms ahead of time for my poor doctor, as if they don't have enough paperwork, and hand carried them to the office a week before my appointment so they knew what I needed for my exam.  I had to come back to pick up the paperwork after test results were received.

I think I came back with about 50 pages to upload and I ended up scanning everything into one file and then printing it off to various files for different MAP tasks.

I now have my medical and vision tasks done and uploaded, to give myself plenty of time for correcting mistakes or follow-up activities required.  I've also messaged the MAP nurse letting her know that I've updated more tasks.

I'm turning to my dental stuff next week.  I have a molar that has be cracked for year and is beyond repair, but it has not given me problems.  However, the dentist thought that it should be removed as the risk of infections and complications is high.  So I'm going to get that done before I send in my dental paperwork.

...... More to come on the Next Step ......


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training