100 days before I hope to be in Ghana and what am I thinking?

In 100 days I hope my next step will be my first step in Ghana.  Staging will be a couple of days before, most likely in Philly.  Workdays pass painfully slow while the weekends fly by, which I guess is pretty common.  I have so much left to do in these before I depart.

Medical Clearance: I don’t yet have medical clearance.  I’m hoping to turn in my final dental stuff today and I need to repeat some blood work that I can’t complete until March.  I’ll then wait to see if I need other tests or paperwork before getting medical clearance.  The Peace Corps takes medical clearance seriously – which is a good thing.

Finish work: I’m still working which keeps me busy during the week.   I always planned on taking 6 weeks off to enjoy my "retirement" of frantically rushing to get ready for departure.  Working back from my departure date puts Good Friday as my last day.  I take that as another sign that this is the right choice.  However, still working this does mean that everything else takes a back seat during the week.

Take care of the house: Getting my house ready is a major project.  I’ve been cleaning and donating and pitching for 6 months – but you couldn't tell it by everything that’s left.  There is so much to do.  I plan on keeping the house and then figuring out what I want to do when I return in a couple of years.  The kids will be taking care of it while I’m away.  Still, I have a lot to sort out and clear out before I got.  I’m thinking about having a garage sale – which was Theresa’s department, so who knows if that will happen. I’ll donate much to charity.

Visiting friends and family is also important.  I have short trips scheduled to see my family in Arkansas and Theresa’s family in Michigan over the next couple of months.  I’ll hopefully get back for a longer visit for my mother’s birthday just before departure.  It is nice that I’m leaving in June – there are so many family birthdays in the lovely month of May.  I have been able to spend time with friends locally, which I’ll continue as long as possible. Church remains a major part of my life – socially as well as spiritually.

Pack: I’m thinking of getting a backpack and a duffel bag to hold the 100 lbs of stuff I’ll take a third of the way around the planet.  I don’t have those yet although I've gotten a few things so far.

Christmas was nice.  I have a Lumix waterproof/shockproof point and shoot camera.  It is far and away the most complicated camera I've had - eventually I'll have pictures in this blog.  I also got a new lightweight sleeping bag, an engraved pocketknife and music CD's. And what says Merry Christmas for an older Peace Corps volunteer better than a hot water bottle?
 
I've always had desktop computers but recently got an 11.6 notebook.  I need to get it configured for life in Africa – goodbye trial version of Word – hello OpenOffice.

I need to get rain gear and a few other things in addition to the backpack and bags.  Buying most things will wait until after I’m done working unless something goes on sale.  I plan to hit up REI or someplace local, rather than go the mail order route.  I’m told to bring just a few cloths and then get things there – so I’m covered there.

Learn more about Ghana: The Peace Corps provide great training on culture and everything else during my first few months in country.  There are about 70 languages spoken as I'll find which one I'm to learn once I'm in country.  In the mean time I'm learning what I can about the culture from afar.  For example, I need to learn to use my right hand to eat.  All the adjustment I can start now will help fitting in as part of the community later.

Panic attacks: I've not had any panic attacks yet - but there have been moments of clarity or fear when I've asked myself "What am I doing?" in the recent past and will likely question it again.

I know Pre-service training (PST) six days a week and life in Ghana for two years will be difficult. I've done enough down and dirty volunteering to know this is not going to be easy - but I've also done enough to know it will be so so worth it.  Down at my core I'm very comfortable with my decision.

100 days before I take my first step in Ghana and a new life.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training