What do I think? A time for some good byes and simplifying.


Saturday was the last day of the morning men’s discussion group at my Church.  The program is called “That Man is You” or TMIY.  In our parish we meet on Saturday mornings starting in the fall and ending in the spring.  We’ve been meeting for three years now.  The best part of the meeting is the table discussions.  My table, #2, is the best #1 table.  The guys got me a picture as a going away present.  Good-bye all, I’m going to miss the fellowship and the breakfasts!  



This was the first week of my retirement and it has given my time to think about what needs to be done before I leave.  On Tuesday I had a happy hour that lasted about four hours.  I would like to thank my friends from Express Scripts, MasterCard, and from Church who stopped by to wish me well and to exchange good-byes and good luck.  It was a nice time and I wished I would have been able to talk more to everyone – thanks again.

Selling or renting a house and what to do with a lifetime of stuff is a major discussion topic for the 50+ year old future volunteers.  Many people farther along into service report a pleasant liberation to be not so encumbered by so much stuff.

In my case the house is easy: I’m moving out and my oldest is moving in with his wife.  However, over a lifetime one does gather stuff.  So, with the help of the kids I decided some of what should to be saved and what can to be released.  This is not always the easy and I’m far from done.  However, pat myself the time back time; I did make some respectable progress.

My neighborhood schedules are garage (tag) sell twice a year.  This year it just so happened that the sale was schedule for the first week after my retirement so I could get ready for it.  The sale was Friday and Saturday and I spent much of the time this week getting things moved out.

The garage sale was a big success – more so because I was able to meet some nice people.  A couple of the big things went to a younger family who can put it to good use.  Kevin – sorry I missed you, but if you read this before I leave you still owe me a beer for helping put the entertainment center in your van.

On the way to Church today on a radio program I heard some research into happiness.  The researcher spoke of how happiness is mainly gained through experiences rather than stuff.  This may be why Peace Corps Volunteers seem so happy :-).  The radio program mentioned the website http://www.beyondthepurchase.org/.  As I've not spent much time in it yet I’m not recommending it, but on the surface it looks interesting.  Among the other books I've read on the subject is Voluntary Simplicity: Toward a Way of Life That Is Outwardly Simple, Inwardly Rich by Duane Elgin.  I do recommend that book.  I think we all would be better off if we bought less stuff.

This morning was “Fellowship” Sunday (think coffee and donuts).  Once a month my parish has donuts and coffee after mass.  This was my last “donut” Sunday.  I’ll be traveling next month to visit family and friends to the north and the south, so more good-byes this morning. 


Family and friends are so important; a lesson that I am still learning.  I guess life is about learning such lessons; we are each in a different place and all trying to do the best we can in the current moment with the current cards in our hand.  I hope to learn much more about life and myself as I take my next steps towards a simpler life in Africa and beyond.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training