Family: Part 1

Relationships.  There is something human, spiritual, and beneficial about building and maintaining relationships.  Surely, it is a source of strength and happiness. 

As I will soon be a quarter of the way around the globe I’m taking the opportunity to visit family one last time before departure.  I’ll be visiting my family in Arkansas later in the month and expect to write another post reflecting on family before I leave.

I recently returned from visiting Theresa’s family in Michigan and Canada.  I drove up last Thursday and returned yesterday.  Ugh, more than a few hours in the car, but so worth it.  I wish I should have stayed longer and visited more people.  Still, it was a wonderful visit.  I want to express my gratitude for the gifts, particularly the gift of time, so generously given.  The trip also got me out of the house and away from the concern of things left to do.

I was able to spend an afternoon with Theresa’s cousins and aunt in Canada on Saturday and with her parents, her sisters, and their families in Michigan on Sunday.   I stayed at her parent’s house and so was able to spend more time with them sitting around the table and talking.  We shared much and reflected back on a life very well lived among the many topics of discussion.  I don’t know about her parents or family, but as lovely as the visit was it also dredged up some pain and sorrow of the loss.  This is no doubt part of the healing process.


As I take my next steps toward Ghana I expect neither completely wonderful nor wholly miserable experiences ahead.  The Peace Corps and life do not guarantee a bed of roses without thorns.  I expect good and bad, ups and downs throughout the rest of my time regardless where I find myself.

The separation experienced by the volunteers and by their family and friends is hard on all.  The separation of loved ones resting in peace seems even greater.  Still we can all draw strength from those same relationships we keep in love.  We all do our best to continue to live and to love one day at a time, one step at a time – regardless of the distances.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training