August 9th – Language proficiency interview (LPI)

I'm now almost done with Preservice Training (PST). I don't know when I will have enough internet to post this message but I'm writing it now.

After site visit I pretty much spent all available time learning, attempting to learn, the language at my site – Dagaare. I spent almost every available hour not otherwise consumed by Peace Corps with flashcards, studying, and reciting words, phrases, and paragraphs. Please ignore the Facebook photos on my birthday or otherwise at “the spot” - (local slang for a resource center (slang for a place that serves drinks.)) Missing out on spending time relaxing with others in the group was a sacrifice.

I passed the language proficiency interview (LPI) at the minimum level required. In Ghana that means intermediate mid. So higher than novice, lower than advanced – in the middle of the intermediate rank. I'm happy I passed but I have a lot of work once I get to site. I could function fine with minimal Dagaare at my site, but I'd like to be able to do more.

Swear in next week.


There are a few more tasks to complete before we swear in on the 14th. As if language was not enough of a challenge they are also making me learn a dance to drums. We do it as a group for the swearing in ceremony. Just another thing to try to do my best at even as I see others doing it so much easier.

After we “swear in” we will be official Peace Corps Volunteers (PCVs) – to this point we are still Peace Corps Trainees (PCTs). They told us that as a volunteers we will be “on the books” and working for the US Federal Government. I guess we are in some sort of “never never” land during this training as far as Uncle Sam is concerned – mixing metaphors this is certainly not Kansas.

I also get a raise. My current weekly stipend is Ghana ¢ 28 (Cedis). This is worth a little less than $8.00 at the going conversion rate. Surprisingly this is been enough if I watch my money. My pay will increase as a volunteer but I will also need to buy my food, cooking fuel and such. Peace Corps is run on a tight small budget and one of the defining characteristics of a Peace Corps Volunteer is to live in and with your community at close to their standard of living. The cost of living is a little less in my area than in the major cities, but everyone is being hit by inflation and the continued decline of the conversion rate to the dollar. I'm use to living on a budget so I'm sure I'll be fine. But enough at money for now. I'm sure it will come up in the future.

The first thing after swearing in and no longer being a “trainee” will be, wait for it, yes you guessed it – more training – we will have our first in-service training (IST) for two days. We will learn practical stuff like how to maintain a pit latrine and other things. This will be nice information before heading off to site.

Ghanian English.


“In Ghana they speak English. However, the sentences. They are short most of the time. Or only phrases. We talk this way so the people can know what we say. Although I think, when they talk to me in Dagaare, they talk at their normal rate. Very fast or maybe maybe my ears are so slow.”

If you read the above quote out loud in under 20 seconds you need to slow down.

I've noticed sometimes when I talk with other volunteers, when I'm talking with family on the phone, or when I type on this blog my sentences become Ghanian English. I sometimes leave it this way when I edit to show a little bit about how life is like for me. Anyway on with the post ….

I'm still happy.


It has been a pain struggling with the language and the cold bucket baths are a chilling experience in the morning and evening. Still I'm happy. As happy as I was with Theresa and the kids and a fair bit happier than the last year in Missouri. Of course part of that was the grief after Theresa and my dad “moved on” within a month of each other - but even after that period – I was just working and coming home or volunteering a little. Yes, the work was relatively easy and paid well. However, it was also frustrating because the company did not invest in the proper tools. The work was not challenging, interesting nor fulfilling. I was not very happy, just going through the motions.

I'm finding myself happy now even as I desperately miss my kids and family. I'm far away and will not be coming back to visit until next August and September for Sam's wedding. Long distant phone calls are great and once I get to site the improved internet may further improve communication. Still that time will be limited are I continue to integrate with my community, teach, and spend time on secondary projects. (more about those in the future)

Anyway – in the last several weeks I spent a fair amount of time wondering why I'm happy. Shouldn't I be sad based on how much I miss my family?

First, think I'm learning a little about what I need to be happy. Not to be overly dramatic – but like Job – my wife, family, and home have been “taken away” or as least well separated by distance. I still have my health for those who know the story :-)

But about what I need to be happy: Do I NEED a four bedroom house? No. Hot showers? I guess not....

As happiness comes from within I'm pleasantly surprised to find that as things are removed – oh my wonderful 5 minute hot shower each morning – I can generally remain happy and upbeat. Even when I'm frustrated with language or some other thing thrown at me I've been generally able to remain happy and upbeat.

Part of this happiness, I think, is being able to talk and relax with those in my training group – nothing like a bunch of diverse, intelligent, and energetic 20 somethings to keep you feeling young and old at the same time. Also, I've had many great short or long conversation with the people I've met in Ghana. I guess I'm a little bit like my dad who could start a 20 minute conversations with a total stranger and end up with a friend. (If only I had his memory.)

Another part, perhaps the bigger part, of my happiness is the opportunity to help people. I think more than anything else – this is what brings me happiness. I had too much work and not enough volunteering to bring much satisfaction while I was in Missouri last year. Perhaps if my job had been more interesting or challenging or something it might have been different. I hope not – I'd like to think that I would have chosen this life anyway – but the decision might have been harder.

I'm still working this out and I know that there are many challenges ahead. I expect that there will be days of frustration, anger, worry, confusion, and such. However, for now at least, there is a fire of happiness burning deep in my soul. Or perhaps Theresa is helping me along.

Come what may I'm ready for my my next step when I swear in to become a PCV and moving to my new site, my new home, for two years. I'll post again after I get settled in at my site. And mom – I promise to get a can of paint as soon as possible ….


Love always - John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training