I got packages – living as a Peace Corps Volunteer - and zai pits

Packages


I got two packages this week – one from relatives in New Jersey and one from relatives in Virginia. Thanks to all. Wow, it is so nice to get a package and to get two in one week is very nice. One was mailed on the December 12th and another on the 16th. So about 5 weeks for delivery. A package also mailed on December 12th came more a week ago - so go figure. I don't even begin to wonder about a package until six weeks.

In these two packages I got things for the kitchen, for my hair, my head, my mind, and my stomach. Everything touched my heart with the thoughtfulness.

With the newly added food chopper, cutting boards, pepper mill, seasonings, and such my kitchen is now nicely supplied. I can't think of anything else I need.  (Although when I get to hot season and I still don't have a refrigerator I may need to rethink what I need.)

I'm going to get some clay planting pots made to use the herb seeds I received.

I also got hair cutting scissors and a comb. I was able to cut my hair somewhat with an o.k. pair of scissors and my fingers. Not great – but good enough for a white man in Africa. I tried having a local barber cut my hair, but did not like the results – a left handed man with one mirror did better than the barber. As I am almost the only white man in town, they don't get much practice on hair like mine.

I got more hangers which are surprisingly difficult to find in my area (ok – impossible within an hour of my site). Well, maybe not so surprising. First, people generally don't have that many clothes. Second, since there is so much dust they fold and place cloths in bags or boxes or something. Hanging requires a cloth to cover the cloths so they don't get dirty again and then you have something else to wash. However, I still like to have my shirts hung up as a mouse chewed holes in a pillowcase I had folded in my wardrobe during my first month at site. (No further fabric casualties.)

I got a new hat which will work well when I travel. My straw hat is nice, but does not stow well in my backpack. I also got a book on the people of northern Ghana – which I have already started reading.

I asked for paraffin, which I'm thinking is not easily available in New Jersey. What, no one makes wax sealed jelly anymore :-? I hope to use it to make some jelly/jam out of the local fruit – but we will wait and see. If I try something that fails in a dramatic or humorous way it will at least give me something to write about.

I also asked for and got a coping saw. If I have time I'm thinking about making some wooden toys. I've not had much down time yet, but maybe I'll have some in the future.

I received a good supply of candy, chap stick, and such along with a few other things which again were all very nice. Thank you, thank you, thank you.



Life as a Peace Corps Volunteer


A real volunteer's living situation.


Such packages do help lift up the spirits of Peace Corps Volunteers. We all like getting packages and I have been particularly blessed with so many. I deeply appreciate all the cards and gifts. But, does it “spoil” us or something?

I was talking with another volunteer recently about the philosophy and characteristics of a “true Peace Corps living experience”. The volunteer was relaying the opinion of others that a new volunteer should be happy and satisfied with a plate, bowl, fork, spoon, knife, cup, one pot, one pan, and a charcoal pot for cooking. The volunteer said that that should be sufficient and seemed to imply that that is how “real volunteers” should live. I know that some volunteers request to be placed in sites without electricity and look forward to living a very minimal lifestyle. I think that is fine; however, it is not for me.

I'm not interested in living such a minimal a lifestyle. For example, yesterday I was digging the zai trenches (more later) when a couple of men and a couple of kids came over to help. When they were thirsty it was nice to have four cups to give everyone a drink when we took a break.

And then there is the time element. It takes some time to start a charcoal fire, particularly if you can't start with fresh embers from another fire as most locals do. I could spend more time prepping food and cooking but would rather use my two burner gas range or my hotplate with the correct size pot or pan. There are also times like today when I don't get to cooking until dark and cooking outside on charcoal in the dark is not something I want to do.  So I am able to spend more time with my projects and out in my community when I spend less time cooking.

I guess each volunteer needs to find the proper balance for their situation and to live the way they think is best. I think the Peace Corps could do a better job a getting volunteers ready for site by giving more practical advice on what is essential and what is nice and what is overkill. “Something to cook with is essential, a two burner gas is nice and useful, and a four burner for one person is a bit of overkill” or something like that. I don't know and I'm beginning to ramble, so onto the next ramble.



My life.


I'm living this life one day at a time, sometimes dealing with things that come up here and sometimes dealing with things coming up back home. I sometimes forget that this opportunity is not available to everyone and I should be more thankful and work harder – both as a volunteer and as a father/son/brother/uncle/nephew/friend who is far away from home but who still has responsibilities back in the states. April 15 comes in Ghana just like the U.S.

I sometimes get a card or a message that suggests that I am brave or have so much courage doing what I'm doing. I don't think so. I think a lot of other people show more bravery and courage – both in volunteering and in staying at home. For example, I think the young women volunteering show significant courage, while I don't see my decision as an older man near the end of his career as all that courageous. However, today there was a scorpion on my prep table guarding my coffee cup, and as I wanted coffee I just killed it without drama. So courage may just be a matter of perspective – I'll take the complement with thanks.

We all have our life to live and each day we all have to face pleasant and not so pleasant moments. I no longer wanted to deal with a corporate career and went for a new career as a Peace Corps Volunteer – I think the decision has been a good one for me at this time in my life. Certainly those starting or sticking out a career back home or who have different family or health situations are courageously living a life just as valuable, challenging, and worthwhile as the one I have. Maybe more so.


Soil improvement projects



Although I'm an education volunteer I am expected to work on projects in the health and agriculture sectors as well.  Food security is a big thing here and a big part of the agriculture mission.  My projects to date aim to improve the soil and thereby improve crop yields.

Zai pits


Zai pits are a traditional West African (though not Ghanaian) technique to improve the quality of soil, particularly those with little organic material such as the laterite around my site. The idea is to dig a shallow hole or trench during the dry season. One may add in organic material or let the wind blow it in. The holes also collect water during the early rains. In most cases the crop in planted in the hole, or over it after it has been filled in. The idea seems to simply collect organic material, rather than to create compost.

From what I've read the traditional pits are about about 20 cm deep. I decided to have trenches 20 cm wide spaced 40 cm apart. The first trench was 20 cm deep. The second was 15 cm deep. The third was 10 cm deep. The space for the next trench was not dug (0 cm deep). I then repeat the pattern. I'm using some of the field that Roger had in millet last year for my test bed.

The plan is to see if the pits help improve the crop yield and if the depth of the pit makes any difference. Time will tell.

I started digging after breakfast on Saturday and I was about halfway through the first trench when Roger came by to take over. Ugh. :-) I have to get use to people not wanting me to work hard. Another man came and then a son of each man came so we had a party. I measured out the lines. The men dug with the pickaxes and the boys helped clear out the dirt. We worked for a couple of hours and got two sets of trenches dug.

Friends helping to dig trenches,

First couple of sets of trenches dug.  I added chopped millet stalks to the first trench

I brought everyone water at one point and we later had pito, because you cannot have any work done here that does not involve pito or some alternative.

Other soil improvement projects


I have checked on my worm bed and that seems to be going well. I have to water it daily. It is in a concrete flower bed in front of my house. I'm need to move it before the rains come (April or May) because the entire flower bed will flood and my worms will be at least an inch under water.

I also have a couple of composting projects going. Roger is doing one next to his pig pen with my prodding and reminders. My neighbor has taken over a compost pit in the back that I had started. I started a new one next to the worm bed in front to be able to show both methods to people. The zai pits are also in front.

My plan is to talk about what I'm doing to people and students as they ask and then hopefully be able to show the results during the rainy season that should start in April or May.


Blood work


My blood work was fine. I need to eat more fruit and vegetables, which I'm working on. I bought both bananas and oranges at market today. I should be able to get carrots next week. I've gotten sick after eating fresh tomatoes and tomatoes lightly cooked – so I'm staying away from them for now.


Love always,

John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training