Packing list and simple living


Learning to live simply is one of my reasons I joined the Peace Corps.   Looking at the stuff I packed and received in generous care packages I should say I am living “more simply”. I have fewer things, but I also luxury items that I don't actually need.

A lot of what I brought were things I already had around the house.  I did buy some new things; for example, a good backpack and a power pack to charge electronic devices.


Packing Lists


I think that every Peace Corps blog should have a packing list to help Future Peace Corps Volunteers figure out what to pack and what to leave behind. I delayed this post until I've been in site for a bit to see what I've found useful and what I've not used.

Note: the Peace Corps “allowed” weight and size limit for two pieces of luggage has some wiggle room.

First, the bags that I'm glad I bought:


A large backpack, a medium duffle bag, a small overnight backpack and a soft computer bag

I loaded up and tested the backpack at REI before I bought it. I tried three different ones before getting the one that worked. If you don't already have a good backpack, a great backpack, get one THAT FITS YOUR BODY.
Bags I brought also the protein and meat bars I keep in the large backpack for "emergency rations" 

I brought an old duffle back figuring I would leave it in country with some of my stuff. A duffle bag with a better strap would have been easier to carry. The backpack and my duffle were my checked bags. Volunteers need to carry all their luggage to the training venue, to their host family, to their site, etc. Some volunteers brought heavy hard suitcases with rollers. These did not work well on dirt roads but may have been easier to “live out of".

The large backpack is fine for the flight to country and moving but too large for the overnight or week long travels in country. I have a smaller backpack that also works as a carry on.  I use the computer bag to carry my books to and from school. I generally leave my computer at home.

Second, the electronics and such that I brought and some that I got in country.


Tippy top of the list – head lamp
Top of the list the GoalZero Sherpa and Guide 10 plus

Some electronics, including headlamp, Goal Zero devices, and other things like knifes and water filter

A head lamp should be standard issue. Don't leave home without one (or more). I brought two and gave one to my neighbor as a Christmas gift which was a big hit. I got a black diamond LED light with a bright white light, twin small white lights, and a red light. The bright white light is great for riding a bike in the dark – it is very bright but can be variably dimmed. The red light is great if one needs to get up at night to find something without the temporary blindness of a bright light in the dark.


The GoalZero Sherpa is a power pack that can be used to charge USB devices and laptops. The electric power in the counties served by Peace Corps will likely have spikes as well as low current – this ends up killing phones, kindles, computer batteries, etc. Until I got the voltage regulator I would charge the Sherpa and then only charge my devices from the Sherpa.

I did not buy the solar panel option to charge the GoalZero, and as I have power at my site I'm glad I did not buy/bring it. I could have gotten solar panels in country if needed.

I got the smaller version (Sherpa 50) and I did not get the inverter (to have a US style outlet). The Sherpa 50 has enough power and is small enough to carry with me when I travel. As travel is sometimes over a day on a bus it is nice to recharge a cell phone during the trip.

The Guide 10 Plus will charge AA and AAA batteries from a USB line. It is small and compact. If fully charged it can also charge a cell phone a bit or be used as a flashlight. I mainly use it as a battery charger. The headlamp, radio, and a few other devices requires AA or AAA batteries. I did not bring any devices that required other types of batteries (except a clock that required a button battery).

I brought rechargeable batteries, including extra batteries. I can get dry cell batteries in Ghana, but I've not found rechargeable types. Note: the batteries here tend to be cheaply made with a rather short life.

I brought a small low cost laptop that does not have a CD/DVD drive. The amount of paperwork required by the Peace Corps, the thumb drives of documentation they give you, the value of internet research, along with the desire to blog, Facebook, Skype, etc – makes a laptop very useful. However, not everyone brought a laptop and some have already died or been stolen in Africa. The offices and sub-offices have computers to use, but I'm far away from those.

I brought an external hard drive, 1 TB, that has less than 50 movies and such from home. Other volunteers have borrowed my drive to see what they might like (Dr. Who was popular) and I could have exchanged movies and such with them as well because some people have hundreds of titles, but I have not. So far I've watched one movie, but I'm sure there will be times when I will want to watch others.

Since my computer does not have a DVD drive – I brought an external one. This turned out to be very good because I'm also in charge of the school computers and they don't have CD drives for media. I've used the drive to rebuild a computer operating system and to burn backup Cds/DVDs.

I also brought several USB drives. I bought a couple of new ones large enough to hold a backup image of my computer, and I brought a couple of older smaller ones to share files and to print documents. One of these has died. A USB scanner on the computer is good because there are many viruses out there (including places that will print files).

I am happy to have brought an ipod and kindle. I don't always have my headphones on, but when I want to listen to music I'm glad I have something. The offices and sub-offices also have paperback/hardback books which are nice, particularly for public reading while waiting for or riding in a tro. However, a kindle with lots of books (I have free ones from Amazon) is nice to have.

I brought a small “point and shoot” camera – dust proof, water proof, shock proof – a Panasonic DMC-TS5. Other volunteers have much more serious camera's but this one is fine to me.

I brought a multi-port USB charger, a single port charger and extra USB cables for everything. The multi-port charges are nice with multiple devices. Bring more USB cables than you think you need. I now have certain devices that will only charge/connect with .a certain cables and the single port charge died recently.

I brought a voice recorder which I've found useful because learning a language is just so very hard to me. I might also use it with the students to help document the local stories. I had it around the house so I brought it.

Because I have electricity I don't need solar panels. However, the line voltage suffers from low and high voltage spikes. Therefore, I need a voltage regulator or other device to provide relatively stable power. I thought I got a pretty good voltage regulator but it recently let through a spike that fried a USB charger. Extension cords are also needed as outlets are generally one or less per room. I brought a simple US power strip which has worked fine. However, some people brought a surge protector strip and as most places have 240 rather than 120 volts – these tend to melt/burn with use.

Bought in-country - voltage regulator and extension cord

I also brought an clock, thermometer, hydrometer. I like to know a little bit about the weather – and I brought it because it is small and I've had it for years. I considered buying and bringing a full up electronic weather station – but resisted.

Third, kitchen items


Top of the list – a “Dad” coffee cup
Next in line top good knives and flexible cutting boards
Also very useful - a "camping" egg carrier.  (Eggs are sold individually.)

Dad coffee cup, computer, and Lung Cancer Connection wrist band

Something to remind you of home, family, friends, past life while alone at site is important. I brought a ceramic coffee cup with a lid that I got for Father's day some years ago which is nice for morning coffee. I've worried about it breaking during some of the travels, but so far so good. It has Dad in a number of different languages, but not in Dagaree.

I brought a good set of knives and flexible cutting boards (gifts from family in Canada). I like good sharp knives. The knives for sale in Ghana are generally not horrible, but not great. I'm glad I brought mine, but others are happy with ones purchased here.

I gave most of the flexible cutting boards I brought away to host country nationals and other volunteers and I've been using the remaining two so heavily that my family was kind enough to send me more. Flexible cutting boards are great – easy to clean/disinfect and can be use to pour sliced okra, diced onions or whatever in a frying pan or pot.

To my surprise as well as my mom and others I found that I needed measuring cups and spoons. “Needed” is a little strong. Back in the states most of my cooking did not require measuring things. I obstinately avoided measuring spoon the last time I was visiting my mom and cooking. However, I do use them when I want to be accurate for a few recipes back home (such as chocolate chip cookies) and here (such as making pancake mix that requires baking powder).  The Peace Corps suggestions like using a small tomato paste can as a quarter cup and a spoon and big spoon sort of work, particularly if one does not intend to cook much.  I've not seen measuring cups here, maybe in larger cities but I suspect they would be metric.  The Peace Corps cookbook we were given used English units.

A peeler and shredder and such.  I can get a peeler and shredder in country if I'm lucky. However, they are cheaply made and would be a pain to use. I plan on drying food and doing other types of processing (can you make yam starch?) so the knives, peeler, shredder, steamer, and such items will make the job easier. Volunteers who are not so inclined, would be fine with a good paring knife. I recently got a chopper which is certainly a luxury, but will also help with “processing” food.

Some resealable bags – quart and gallon are nice to have – maybe 20 or so of each. I use them to store the pancake mix, kool-aid and sugar, and such.  The large cloth packing bags are also nice to keep dust and critters away from cloths.

And then there is the thing that I did not know I needed.   Instant coffee is about the only type available. Most people drink tea and they don't even ask for coffee, just Nescafe. After months of living and accepting instant coffee I received a french coffee press and good ground coffee.  As a long time coffee drinker I'm very happy to be spoiled with real fresh coffee again. I know a number of volunteers with a french press or other type of coffee maker. French press – definitely a luxury that one can survive without, but oh so nice to have.

Fourth Food


Number one – protein bars
Number two – candy

I brought a good number of cliff protein bars and received meat protein bars in a care package. These “survival” foods are good on a long tro ride, when you don't feel like cooking, and just want to have something NOW. In the unlikely event of an in country crisis I would have emergency ratios.

Your favorite “travel food” is good to have. My daily malaria medication has a very tight 6:30 am schedule. It should not be taken on an empty stomach. So when I get on a bus at 2 am and don't expect to be able to stop for food until 1 pm - I can always pull out a protein bar or something.

I did not realize how nice candy was. I went months without candy and then started getting packages with plain M&Ms and other such candies. I'm not sure how well the M&M will be during the upcoming hot season, but they are WONDERFUL now. I figure that since I have peanuts here – the plain ones are the best. Other non-chocolate candy or cookies are also good. Note: given enough heat, and I will get enough heat, any high sugar candy will melt.

I also have unflavored kool-aid. OK, not the greatest stuff, but easy to ship and make by the cup - throw the powder and sugar in a zip lock bag and then spoon out for a cup.  It does remind me of my time as a kid at grandma's in the hot Fort Smith summers. Actually, I'm reminded of hot Fort Smith summers a lot here in Ghana.

Seasonings. I have to go to one of the big cities to get almost any spice or herb. And even then it is not easy to find some things. Via recent care packages I got a pepper mill, herbs, and spices. My pepper mill and measuring cups/spoons were two of the last things I pulled from my bags before leaving St. Louis. I was missing fresh ground pepper from the first day. OK, I'm spoiled – but fresh ground pepper on eggs or spaghetti is nice.

Fifth, cloths and such


Number one Exofficio travel underwear.
Also useful sandals and hiking boots and shower bag.

Shower bag at top, laundry bag, rain jacket, journal, the OK radio, and other things.
I thought of modeling the underwear, but as I'm not Michael Jordan I decided it was best not to.

Exofficio underwear was on sale during my last REI visit. These are the travel underwear that costs like $30 per pair. I got three for a very good price. I also brought my normal underwear as directed by Peace Corps. (Bring something like 24 pairs – wear 12 for the first hot year and then when the elastic dies use the others in the second year). I've never wore them. The travel underwear is easy to wash and they dry fast. I live on just the three so far without any problem – washing a pair each night.

I was the last person in my family to wear Birkenstock sandals. I always liked, even demanded, socks and shoes as one of my brothers remembers very well. However, in this climate and as a Peace Corps volunteer some sort of sandal is standard wear. Most people bring Birkenstocks or Keens – I brought both along with hiking shoes and hiking boots. A pair of sandals and a pair shoes/boots would have been sufficient. My sister would be happy because many people go around barefoot or in the ubiquitous flip-flops. One can buy nice sandals and new flip-flops almost anywhere in country.

A volunteer will most likely be showering (ok bucket bathing) in another building or in a shared bathroom. Having something to carry soap, razor, and such between bedroom and bathroom is very useful.  I brought a mesh bag with a pocket on the outside for soap and razor.

I brought a wide brim hat that I lost and I've since got a replacement. Given I'm near the equator such a hat is nice. I also brought a “stow away” rain jacket; the kind that stuffs down to a small size. This is nice to keep in the backpack during the rainy season. I don't have to carry it now in the dry season here, but I'll use it a lot in the future.

I have a couple of the evaporative type things to put on neck or head to keep cool.  I've not had a chance to seriously test these out, but I will soon.

Miscellaneous


I brought a compact Sawyer water filter which filters down to 0.1 micron – so most everything is filtered out. The Peace Corps provides a water filter for site and one can buy small bags of filtered water, but for times in a hotel or such I like having it.

I have problems with my sinuses (although not as much here as back home) that requires “rinsing”. I will avoid the gross details – but I have stuff for that. However, rinsing does run the risk of a nasty brain infection. I've heard of cases of death in Louisiana and Florida from rinsing with tap water. To make sure the water is clear of such nasties I brought a UV pen to sterilize the water after I have used the Sawyer filter after I have used the Peace Corps filter. People without such need or less paranoid can skip this.

I also brought dust masks and had more sent. Sweeping house and such raises a lot of dust as well.  My allergies sometimes kick up with the dust and such. I found this particularly true when I sleeping. Since I have been wearing the mask at night I've not had any serious problems.

I also brought a hot water bottle and I've used it a couple of times.  I also recommended it to other volunteers.  A friend in Lesotho, an African county that has a winter, appreciated it when she was getting into a cold bed.

I, like most volunteers, brought a journal and I'll buy another one here when I fill this one up. I'm not journaling daily – but when I have something on my mind that I cannot blog about I'm able to write about it.

Last but certainly not least – photo albums and things from home


Photo album, French press, Keens, UV pen on top of hot water bottle, dusk masks, and such.

My daughter made me a photo album for me before I left and I brought a couple of other ones. They are nice to have to look at alone and wonderful to be able to share with host country nationals. The second goal of Peace Corps is to teach host country nationals about America so albums help in that department.

I also brought an engraved pocket knife I got from future son-in-law and a leather-man I got from my son Daniel. A pocket knife and leather-man are very common items to bring.

Little things from home are nice to bring. I have a couple of “Lung Cancer Connection” wrist bands, a dream catcher my daughter made, along with other small things with special meaning.


On the fence


The short wave / AM / FM radio was a bit of a let down. First, it was the one device that did not have a dual voltage adapter – very strange for a “travel” item. Second, broadcasters are moving away from short wave so there are fewer stations transmitting less power. Then, short wave works best at night. Also there is the need to occasionally switch frequencies. I can generally only get the BBC for a short time after I wake up (while the sun is coming up) and before I go to bed (after the sun is down) to keep up with world events. Still, BBC news is great. I'm not able to get Voice of America with any regularity.


At my site I could get enough news from the internet (although streaming broadcasts might require a more expensive internet bundle). However, I could also be at a site that does not have internet but better radio reception and would therefore love having the radio.


Things I did not need to bring.


Dress shoes – As an older volunteer I thought there might be in situations where I should dress more formally, as I did when we visited the ambassador during training, but basically as a Peace Corps Volunteer I was over dressed.

Ties – I brought a number of ties (see above). One or two ties might have been OK, but basically it is too hot to wear them and again as a volunteer I can dress the part and could have left all of them at home.

Regular underwear – Peace Corps suggested bringing a lot of underwear because the heat will ruin the elastic. However, they take a long time to dry and I don't even know where they are at this point with the “travel” ones I use.

Too many socks – I brought too many (again Peace Corps recommendations). I am not sure where they are because I'm only using one pair. I wear the hiking boots when working in the field, so I can use one pair and wash them after use. They take some time to dry, but I'm not in boots or shoes every day. Eventually the pair will die in the climate and then I will need to find another pair in my stash.

Too many pants – I could have brought a pair of blue jeans and a couple of pairs of slacks. Everything gets dirty fast with the dust and the mud and therefore this would require more frequent laundry – which is a pain, but it is doable.  A large amount of laundry saved up with be a major pain.

Too many shorts – I brought one pair of swim trunks and three pairs of shorts. Just the swim trunks or one/one would have been fine. As an older volunteer in this country I don't wear shorts in public.

Too many shirts – I could have brought fewer than five shirts with a couple of tee shirts (I got the number of tee shirts right).

About cloths. Less is better – particularly when packing. After a few months you may have lost or gained weight and then need to get other cloths anyway.

Bring a MINIMUM. In country you will be able to buy “dead white man cloths”. Much of the cloths/shoes we donate end up being shipped and sold in countries like Ghana. Also Ghana has many tailors and a lot of fabric for sell so having tailored clothing is easy. (The low cost donated cloths are nice but hurts the clothing industry in country.) I've gotten five shirts and couple of smocks tailored so far. The teachers at my school decided to get custom shirts/dresses made so I'll have another one. I'll likely get at least a pair of trousers that fit (I've lost weight) made in the future as I continue to “buy local” when I can.


The simple life


So that is my packing list and how I'm living. Good luck to all future volunteers and good luck to everyone else looking to “downsize” and “simplify” their lives. I firmly believe that less stuff is better all around.

NOTE: Again blogger has decided it does not want to format the way that I want, sorry.  I'm also rushed editing this because I need to go meet some other people, please excuse the errors.



Love always,
John

Comments

  1. My multi port USB charging hub lasted most of the 2 years I was in Ghana. It was great while it lasted.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training