Cultural thoughts of America and Ghana (Part 1)


The mission of the Peace Corps is to promote world peace and friendship. We have three goals (paraphrased):
  1. Provide skilled volunteers to train and support the host country nationals
  2. Provide an understanding of America and its culture to host country nationals
  3. Provide an understanding of the host country and its culture to Americans
This blog is part of the way that I fulfill the third Peace Goal and some of the second goal. Recently, my conversations with locals have focused on life and culture in Ghana and in America.

Certainly, I've barely begun to know and understand the culture in Ghana even with the persistent questions I have been asking. Similarly, my understanding of American culture is filtered by my narrow experiences and does not represent some great universal truth or judgment, but just my opinions at the moment. My opinions of myself, Ghana, the United States, and the world change over time.

And, of course, none of this is the opinion of Peace Corps or the United States government.

This post is not intended to be a judgment and certainly not a condemnation of anyone or any place but simply my current understanding. I hope you find it thought provoking. I trust that no one completely agrees with everything I've said in this post. Our opinions are not etched in stone. Discussion our ideas and differences in opinions provide a way to refine and improve our understanding of ourselves and our world.


Overview of the two countries.

At a high level America can be viewed as a land of individuals and independence. No blanket statement works for any person and certainly not a country, but I think this works at a high level. Ghana can be viewed as a land of clans and groups with high interdependence within the groups and clans with some division between groups. I think each country could learn and improve from each other, but those ideas will wait for the third post as I currently have no idea what I will say.


Ghana background


In Ghana the greeting is highly regarded. You greet everyone whether you are walking or riding a bike. At least a nod and a wave, but generally a more involved greeting asking about their health and the health of their “house”, their family. Most people, particularly in my region, live in traditional family compounds with clans closely clustered together. People in the village don't buy and sell houses as we do in the states. They will live, work, and die surrounded by family and life long friends. This is changing in the larger cities, such as Accra, as Ghana continues to develop middle and upper classes – but even such people have their “village” home that they visit frequently.


“Take me to America”


Most people in Ghana know about America from our TV shows and movies. Not exactly an honest picture of America. They like what they see and they want to go. The phrases “Can you take me to America?” and “I want to go to America.” typically creep into the conversation at some point.

My typical response is to explain the way many people live in America. I explain that we live in homes that we buy and sell. The houses are commonly far away from other family members.

I mention that we generally work very hard and very long hours. When we come home from work we typically do not stop to greet the neighbors and in some cases may not even know the names of people living close to us. I tell them that people go into their house to get food and relax in front of the television. Sitting with other people in a room watching television alone is common in America and becoming common in Ghana.

I tell them that even though people in America have many things, a nice house, a car and such that they may be deeply in debt because of what they have bought. This form of financing is not common in Ghana and the idea is horrifying to many.

I mention that not everyone in America is happy. I say that some Americans think that they need this thing or that thing to be happy. (Explaining how years and years of television advertisement have an impact on the way people think.) I explain that people buy the thing, find that the happiness is fleeting at best and then search for something else to make them happy. I stress this is not universal. I give Theresa's and my volunteering, religion, and family life as a counter example.

Finally I tell them that many Americans are poor and have trouble finding a job. I explain that some jobs don't pay enough to cover basic living expenses. I mention that some don't have a home and are food insecure – including families with children.

If the Ghanaians have had a hard time believing what I said about Americans up to this point they are shocked by the thought just mentioned. In Ghana one can always go to a family member, neighbor, or even a stranger around a meal time and find a place at the table and a bed for the night. “You are invited” is a common phase. They find it difficult to believe that such a rich country could have people in poverty. They begin to see that the view of America from movies and TV shows is not accurate.

So they begin to understand that America is a good place with many opportunities, but also a place that has problems and can be a very difficult place to live. I tell then that I think it is easier for people in Ghana to be happy because they have many strong personal relationships and connections. They know their happiness comes from personal relationships (include their relationship with God).

I explain the people in Ghana are generally more tightly integrated like interlocking fingers while Americans are more like isolated individual hands. Not the perfect analogy, but close enough.

I think Ghana and Ghanaians would be better off if they took on some of the independence expressed in the daily lives of Americans.


Next post I'll talk about Ghana.


I think America and Americans would be better off if we took on some of the interdependence expressed in the daily lives of Ghanaians.

I'm working on this series because I think we can learn from each other. I hope you like it and are not offended by my suggestions.


Health issues.


I'll be traveling to Accra either this week or next Sunday and so the next post may be delayed. I would like to have Monday and Tuesday to review math before the students take the exam on Thursday. I have a staff meeting on Wednesday and a funeral on Thursday in addition to the exam. Friday is a holiday. So I think the following week would be better for the medical work.

However, I've been having issues with my ears that culminated with what I thought was a burst right ear drum on Saturday morning. So although I know that not much can be done about it now and I would prefer to travel next Sunday to complete the school work, the Peace Corps doctors may want to see me sooner. If I could get some antibiotics in Nandom I think I could easily put off the trip.

Another minor health issue has been some intestinal issues that have kept me close to my “hole” for the better part of a week. I think it has mainly passed, but it has been a slow recovery.

Still, these are not really major or serious issues. Generally speaking, I remain healthy and happy with my decision to join the Peace Corps while missing my family and looking forward to my upcoming visit back to the states.



Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training