School is Out for the Summer and Rabbit Cage Update


Actually, it is always “summer” here – just sometimes wet and sometime dry.  The students will be back after 6 weeks off or so – returning on September the 8th so not a long break.

The last day celebration was held on the second to the last day of school. The day started with the killing of the pig at 6 am. The cooking of rice, soup, and meat started later in the day.

The parents were told to come around 9 but we did not expect to start until 10. This is the primary farming season and everything planted some weeks ago needing to be weeded. The weeding is done by hand with the hoe.  Acres and acres of weeding around each plant by all available hands to do the work.  The technique basically scratches the surface and builds up the loose soil around the plants. Most of the parents stayed at farm rather than attending the celebration.

By 10ish we started seeing some parents arrive and most everyone who was going to attend was seated at 11 – about 20 parents along with some school district officials.

One big thing for me was to give a speech explaining that because the new school had been taken by the primary school I would not be able to complete the work planned (no library, no computer room) and would have to update my reports going back to Peace Corps. My big problem remained the district council executive official saying at the last PTA meeting that we should let the JHS students suffer so someone would build them a new school. And the students, particularly the 70 something form two students crowded into one classroom, are suffering greatly. I made sure that my speech was translated so everyone would understand what I was saying.

That was a little depressing but the speech was just a statement of the facts without blame or complaint. I don't know if the decision will change by the time school starts. On a side note there has been some more discussion about within the community so I'll wait and see.

On with the celebration. There was music and dancing.  There was a dance to modern music, a couple of songs sung in French, and a more traditional dance with a song in Dagaree.  And again - either I will need to get much better in the language or get a translator - but I could tell the song was composed for the last day, but could not make out all the words.


One of the dances performed by the girls.

Speeches came between the music programs. Again the language translator because everything was in Dagaree but I could pick up some references to what I said.  

The awards to the students best in class was the last major part of the program.  The top with best students in each class were awarded along with the best student in each subject.  Awards were school books, pencils, and pens.

The xylophone was played for the last day with boys and girls dancing as a closing to the program.


Every celebration in the Upper West has a wooden xylophone.


Dancers at the end of year celebration

Afterwards pito was served to the officials, teachers, parents, and students. A little bit later the food was distributed to the students – rice, soup, and meat.

The teachers meet later to discuss the day and the plans for the vacation. Several teachers are going for continuing education while I'll be flying home.

The last day of school was the teachers wrapping up forms and the students cleaning the school and weeding the millet field.


Trip home


My trip home is coming up fast – in less than two weeks. Because of the travel this blog may go radio silent at times.

One of the first things I will do in my visit is hold my first grand baby – Andrew. One of the last things I will do is to give away my last baby – Samantha.   In between I plan on visiting family and friends and eating.


Rabbit hutches


I needed to get the rabbit hutches done before my trip and the last big thing was to get the roof on. The roofing sheets are 8 feet long and a little under 3 feet wide. The question is how to get the sheets home. The answer for a Peace Corps volunteer is to strap it on your bicycle and steer clear of narrow roads.


As far as things carried on a bicycle - this is relatively small.

I got the roof up with Roger's help. And I first need to say that I'm OK. Just a few bruises and scraps. As I was nailing the roof while standing on a table on uneven ground – I shifted my weight and unbalanced the table – bring me to the ground. Roger then did a good bit of the nailing. I repaired the table and completed the roofing at the edge. I will spare the picture of old white man leg with a bruises but the rabbit hutches now look like rabbit hutches with enough roofing to keep things dry and in the shade.

Completed construction of rabbit hutches.
Minor cosmetic and water/feeding items remain to be added


Health update


My sinus congestion has developed into a cough, particularly at night, along with some ear congestion but little pain. Nothing major.  It seems to be slowly getting better.  I already gave an update on the construction accident – I'm stiff but fine this next day.

Counting down to my mid-service medical checkup next week followed by my flight out.


Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training