I live in Ghana – I’m not a Ghanaian.


The flip flops above have not been thrown away, just set aside while the child was playing the drums during the recent practice for Independence Day.  Some of the children may not even have something as good as these – they come to school barefoot.  I also notice the frayed and torn cloths worn by children and adults around the village during school, church, and funerals.

I’ve lived in Ghana for about 22 months, but obviously I still cannot truly know how it feels to be an African.  To be sure there are locals who have more things than I.  The other three teachers in my compound all have a good size refrigerator, satellite television, motorcycle and other things that make their lives easier than most in the village.  But I don’t say easier than mine.

A big difference is that I know I have less than 5 months left in my service.  While this current hot season is difficult, I am not facing future hot seasons for the rest of my life.  I have always had the freedom to leave at any time.  I have been very careful to budget my money from the Peace Corps, but I’ve always known that they money will come – I’ve always had enough for what I need (but not for everything I want).  Teachers are currently getting paid, but that has not always been the case even in the recent past.  Most of the teachers in my school are owed back salary from the government.  Teachers also have many more demands on their time and resources.

I’ve always tried to treat people equally and fairly but I can’t say I don’t see color.  I know from my time here what it is like to be in the minority, but here I’m in a minority that is very highly respected.

I try not to stereotypes of people based on religion or on their lack of belief in a higher power.  I don’t shun others because of such things, but I tend to associate with people who share some common beliefs.

I will live in Ghana for two years as a Peace Corps Volunteer in a remote village rather than as an expat in the big city.  I will have a better understanding of life in Ghana – but I will not understand it.  I hope to have done some good for the world during this time and I know it had done me a world of good.


My past work with St. Vincent de Paul, the Red Cross, and Habitat for Humanity has given me some insight into the poverty in America but I can’t say I know what it is like to be poor.  I will say the overwhelming majority (99%) of people I’ve worked with have been hard working and honest. 

Their situation is typically due to unfortunate circumstances rather than laziness or worse.  Americans should not look down on those down and out, but give them a hand – they are not the problem – not be a long shot.  We should look more closely at the real cause for our problems – it is not the poor, the Mexicans, Muslims, immigrants, etc. that typically get the blame.

I try to keep my eyes, ears, and heart open.  And then I hear about the U.S. elections and sometimes want to close my eyes and ears (but I know that would also close my heart).  I will be returning to the states in August or September.  By that time we will know the presidential candidates for the major parties.  I think we make America great by humbling working to make our country and our world a better place.  I think we harm ourselves, our families, our fellow citizens, our country and our world when we embrace hate and greed.


Such are my thoughts this week.

Health



Nothing new to report.  I continue to exercise my shoulder and the range of motion is slowly increasing.  My ears are not bad but I can’t say fine.  It remains hot but I’m managing.

Love always,

John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training