Between family visits


I’ve been away from my computer and not able to provide posts while travelling.  This will continue for the next month.  I hope to return to a weekly schedule in mid-September.  Thanks.

Family visits


After a few of weeks I’m back from visiting my family in Arkansas and my wife’s family in Michigan and Canada.  I had a wonderful time visiting family and friends, although I put about 2,500 miles on the car.

Ferry ride between US and Canada

Canadian family reunion - nice time visiting everyone

Sitting around at the Allore reunion with Theresa's family

Bernie's family in attendance at the reunion


My near term traveling adventures are not over.  In about a week I head off for visits in Virginia, Kentucky, Arkansas, and Colorado.  I expect to add another 3,500 miles.  My Prius is getting about 48 miles to the gallon, so I’m not destroying the environment as much as I might.


Plans for Peace Corps Response fell through


I was hoping to be able to announce that I would be going off to service as a Peace Corps Response Volunteer.  The departure date would have been October for a one year assignment – it would have been perfect.  (Peace Corps Response is a program focused on targeted skills serving between 3 months and 1 year.)  I’m disappointed, but as they say in my part of Ghana “no problem”.

I have an application in for another 27 month assignment, but I’ll have to wait to see about that one.


Medical Insurance


Thanks to the Affordable Care Act a 50+ unemployed person can get health insurance on the open market.  There are a lot of options and a bit of research was required to pick one.  I hope it works out OK.


Future Plans – a simpler life


After my next set of traveling I’m going to start a serious look at the stuff in the house and see how to simplify and downsize.  Donating or selling items the family no longer needs.  I expect I will be happier and my future plans easier if I have less stuff.

Not sure yet about finding a job - that step is not pressing at this time as long as I continue to live a simple lifestyle.

Love always,

John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training