Moving In - Dominica




Special thanks to Samantha for the coaster

This week I moved into my house.  The country directory came last Saturday to check out the place that was planned for me.  She video conferenced our security officer, who was in St. Lucia at the time, to get her approval and there was a small concern about the place.

Peace Corps is very serious about the safety and security of the volunteers and this particular house had only one exit and the kitchen area was between the bedroom and the front door.  It was also near the top of the village - a walk from the school.  They checked out an alternate place that, with recent upgrades, seemed to be more suited for my stay – as it is right next to the school, had an exit out the bedroom, and more light/breeze.  The Country Director, considering all things, decided to see if Peace Corps could change my house.

However, of course the people who had prepared the first house had put some money into it expecting to get two years rent.  The nice couple is one of my co-teachers and her husband, one of the bus drivers for the community.  I want to stay on good terms with both, but I also preferred to stay in the second house as it has an exit out the bedroom and is right next to the school.

I had to wait until Peace Corps could get everything approved.  I was notified Wednesday afternoon that I could move to the place by the school and began moving in on Thursday.  I’m still organizing and adjusting to the place, I expect it will be a little bit longer before I have everything the way I want it.  And this is just with two bags of stuff, plus some stuff I’ve gotten here.  Peace Corps can teach you how to live comfortably with less stuff – but even with less stuff – I still have plenty.

The change in my house is just one example of the care and expense that Peace Corps puts into supporting the volunteer.  Volunteering is difficult and sometimes Peace Corps regulations can add to the frustration – but generally speaking – staff in country and in Washington are dedicated to supporting the volunteers.  I hope Peace Corps staff gets the credit, appreciation, and funding they deserve in the important work they do to promote world peace and friendship and thereby protect Americans at home and abroad.
Pictures of my place

Pictures !! 

  
View from the street - those rocks are the traditional steps up.


More regulars steps, 21 to my house.  Every walk from point A to Point B in Tete Morne is uphill or downhill


View of the Atlantic from my porch.  This time of year the sun rises behind the mountain just left of
the telephone pole in the distance.  Guava tree in the foreground

Front view - small but sufficient

Living room - will need to figure how to sleep in here when I have guests in my bedroom.  Everyone invited!

Kitchen of course

Good size bedroom with a lot of space to hang cloths (needed to keep them fresh in high humidity)

Bug net.  I'll work on adding screens some of the windows over the next few months.  Bugs are not too bad.

Bath room has a nice large shower.  Even has hot water - but I'll likely stick with cold for now as I'm use to it..
Back of the house gives a good view of the "cute" size of the house.

Possible garden areas (more later) and I could resurrect "pooping in a hole" if I wanted.  Don't really want to. :-)

Looking forward


I have one more week of relaxing before school starts.  I’ll be working on Labor day – ha! Peace Corps staff will have it off – but Peace Corps seems to sometimes treat us as volunteers and other times as federal employees based on convenience.  Still I’m happy – getting to school will be nice – until then more sightseeing, organizing, and relaxing on a tropical island.  Tough life.


Love Always,

John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training