School on and off and on and off


This week was supposed to be two days of teacher planning and three days with the kids at school.   That was until hurricanes Irma and Jose decided to go north of the island, but still possibly close enough to cause a little trouble.

Monday


Monday was a planning day and I was able to go all day and get to know the school and the teachers I’ll be working with a little better.

Tuesday


Tuesday was to be a second planning day – however, when you are on an island and a category 5 hurricane is in the neighborhood it is best that you sit up and pay attention.  Rather than have the planning day I traveled to Roseau to consolidate – all volunteers collect in one place and remain there until given the all clear.  The government shut down at noon to give people time to prepare.

Looking at the Caribbean before the storm.

We got a little rain, but nothing horrible

Wednesday


Wednesday there was still some concern about traveling to some of the sites – although mine was fine.  I truly wish I could have been at site that night as my buses were running with no problems reported.  However, Peace Corps said stay put, so we did.  Wednesday was to be the first day with the kids – but because of the storm it was delayed.  So at least I didn’t miss first day with the kids.

Notice the surf on the normally calm sea the day after the storm passed
and this was on the south side of the island - Irma passed north

 Thursday


Thursday morning we were given the all clear and I cleared out as fast as possible.  Even though I needed to wait for the bus to fill I made it to school before the assembly was over and before new staff introductions were made.  So I was happy that I got to school reasonably on time and able to greet the parents and students – all things considered.  Thursday night the reports were still that we would not need to consolidate for Jose.

Some of the teachers and kids in assembly

Another day and another perspective on assembly.

Break time!

I love this picture !!




Friday


I made it to school on Friday.  However, less than 30 minutes into the school day – I was given the word to consolidate again so I left school to repack and then back on the bus.  A volunteer has to take safety and security seriously – so when you are given orders – you follow and try not to give the staff too much grief.  Friday night was a non-event, but an unexpected change in direction could have changed that – best to be careful.

Saturday


We were given the all clear on Saturday morning and again I was the first one checking out.   It is nice spending time with other volunteers – but I’m in Peace Corps so I want to be living in my community. 

A term for a volunteer who prefers to stay at site is a “site rat”.  In Ghana travel was difficult so I really was a site rat.  On Dominica I can reasonable travel to most parts of the island and return in the same day depending on bus schedules so possibly the label doesn’t exactly fit.

Saturday is Roseau big market day (they have market every day) – so I was able to gather a few supplies for the week while also carrying my consolidation luggage.  A pretty fully load on the bus ride up.

Love Always,

John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training