Disappointed


Peace Corps decided to open Dominica to a few volunteers with easy access to the capital city of Roseau.  My damaged and rather remote village was not included at this time.  That is the decision.  I said I would trust the process and I do.

I was ready, willing, and able to return to Dominica and face the challenges of service to help the people in my community and on the island.  I am disappointed that I will not, at this time, be able to fulfill my pledge. 

I had been paying close attention to the ongoing situation on the island so I understand the difficulties and challenges.  My background in teaching as well as disaster services and other skills could have been utilized to help the school children as well as the greater community and the island nation as a whole during this critical time.  I realized my return was a long shot - but the email received on Thursday that I would not be invited back to Dominica still took the wind out of my sails for a bit.

Peace Corps


This is Peace Corps.  Volunteers are placed, removed, and moved around the world.  In some but not all cases the volunteer gets a say in the matter.

That is just the way of life, not just Peace Corps.  The people on Dominica and millions around the world have little control at times.  People are dealing with hardship and a Peace Corps volunteer steps up to face hardship as a member of the community.  I am heartbroken that I am not being able to go back and help as a member of the community of Tete Morne at this time of great need.  However, there are other places in the Eastern Caribbean that need Peace Corps volunteers.

On Monday, I’m to receive a call to let me know if I can serve at a site on a different island.  During this time I have continued to work on the Frech Kéwyòl of Dominica.  The island of St. Lucia, which shares the language, would be my first choice.  As already mentioned, volunteers don’t typically get a choice.  There are two other islands with a English Kéwyòl.

I truly love being a Peace Corps volunteer, with all the stress, frustration, difficulties, etc.  I will carefully consider an offer to return to Eastern Caribbean.  I don’t know the conditions involved.  If I agree then my next step will be to start over integrating and getting to know the people of the place so I can be of service there.

But for sure, as I have not forgotten my community in Ghana, I will not forget the people of Dominica and particularly Tete Morne.

Because of this special circumstance I have the option to take Interrupted Service which will end my service for now, but leaves the door open to do Peace Corps again.  I don’t want to take that option.  Promoting world peace and friendship is a good mission.

Love always,

John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training