Community meetings

Peace Corps volunteers live in their communities rather than in protected compounds. Therefore, it is easier for the volunteer to become part of the community in at least a small way. In addition to teaching in Ghana, I was part of a family group, several community groups, and was involved in many village activities. I learned so much about myself and others in those experiences. Such experiences have ripple effects in the life of the volunteer and in community members. Peace Corps is about world peace and friendship and that mission is accomplished one day at a time on a person to person level.

And so I was eager to attend a community meeting this week. The meeting was about the water supply. The water supply here is not great, but far from horrible compared to some places in the world. The water pressure is not great from my tap and I understand it varies depending on the topology of the house within the gravity fed system. Since arriving in December, the water has been turned off a few times after a rain that clogs the intake from the catchment damn.

The water is not always well filtered and is sometimes a light color brown. If there are particulates then there may also be organisms. Note: Peace Corps requires that I use a water filter for my drinking water. Also note: I’ve not gotten sick from the water and with my filter I’m not worried about it.

It is my understanding that people in Grenada use to pay a flat monthly fee for water. Over time, a meter and billing system was introduced on most of the island. Some houses in Munich have a meter and get a water bill. Most, including mine, don’t have one and have not paid for water in the last 8 years. I don’t understand all the factors for this, but the availability and quality of the water is one factor raised.

Nation Water and Sewage Authority along with the Basic Needs Trust Fund are changing this situation. After some years and past attempts – a new water treatment system is to be built, keeping the existing damn and catchment area. The first step is everyone who does not have one will receive, at no additional charge, a brand new water meter and will start paying of monthly a water bill at a time to be decided later, but likely before the treatment plant is completed early next year.

The meeting was to start 5:30 pm island time at the school.  The doors were unlocked a little after 5:30 once the person with the keys arrived. To their credit, the meeting started before 6 although some (many) arrived later. There was plenty of discussions about the details of the plan.


Still some seats available

Full house

The Basic Needs Trust Fund (BNTF) is an effort by the Caribbean Development Bank and the government of Grenada to reduce poverty. The first part of the meeting was for BNTF representatives to find out a little bit about the place.

One bit of trivia that I learned at the start of the meeting was that the last slave ship to Grenada departed from Nigeria. As this was in the early 1800’s, it took some time to sail from West Africa to the Caribbean. Slavery was abolished on the island before the ship arrived. Half of the surviving “passengers” were settled in Munich.


Catholic Teachers Association


On Friday all Catholic Schools were closed for a Catholic Teachers Association meeting. I saw one other PC volunteer so I was not the only white man in the place.

The meeting was held at the Immaculate Conception and St. Joseph Church in St. David’s Parish (county). Side note: St. David’s is the only parish on the island that does not have a primary city. (I live in St. Andrew’s Parish with the primary city of Grenville.)

I tried without success to find information about the history of the church building as the size and architecture is pretty amazing – positioned on a very windy mountain.



Church at a distance from where the bus dropped me.  So I got my steps in that day

Closer picture of the fine old building

In almost every view you can see a large body of water.  It's like I'm on an island or something.

It was a very nice meeting that was scheduled to start at 8:30 am island time. I want to give credit to the organizers and musicians who were ready to go at 8:30 and led the growing number of people in song until the bishop arrived.

Bishop Clyde Martin Harvey was appointed by Pope Francis in June of last year. The bishop gave a very nice talk. The man seems very down to earth and focused on helping people. I was impressed with his talk and homily and the short conversation I had with him after the meeting and the mass.


View of the church and plenty of seats up front.

Full house

Mother’s Day


Happy Mother’s Day to my mom, my mother-in-law, my daughter-in-law, and other mother’s – biological or not – who place the needs of their children above their own. I know that is what my wife did and she also is not forgotten.

Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training