School starts soon

Last Sunday I was planning my last two weeks of break until I realized that we have a teacher’s prep week. I don’t know what I was thinking. But I did have a nice relaxing week and it will be good to get back to work.

Those who have been following my posts may remember that hurricane Ivan destroyed the old primary school in Munich.


Shell of the old school destroyed by hurricane Ivon

Not much left

A converted community center has served as the school since the hurricane.

Current school.  The wooden addition is for the upper grades and the library
The government has been building a new school up the hill from the one destroyed by Ivan. The original plan was for the school to be ready in June of this year.

It is a big project

Progressing in April

Other side of school, also early April

However, there has been some delays for this and that. They have been working on the school throughout the break and men were working when I checked yesterday. It will be completed as soon as possible.

Taken on Saturday

It will be a nice school
The new school will be a little farther walk, maybe three-quarter of a mile from my house with the last bit a good climb up a hill. When we are able to go to the new school it will be an upgrade. More room and air conditioning in some of the offices. I never expected air conditioning in my workplace as a Peace Corps volunteer.

But for now the current school. The teacher scheduled to teach math to the upper grades looks to be headed off to college, so there will be some staffing changes from the original plan. The principal was hoping to get a replacement for the one going off to college, but teachers everywhere likely know how the administration works. Anyway, I should find out tomorrow what I’ll be doing in the school so I can prepare.


I’ll spend the week getting ready for students who will be coming next week with a day interrupted for a Peace Corps meeting.

The current volunteers are supporting a serious of panel sessions for the new trainees on Wednesday. I volunteered for a session on budgeting and anything else that might be required.

So break over and time to get back to work.



Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training