Dominica and reflections on Peace Corps

Prayers with the new fire
Happy Easter for those who celebrate the holiday. All the best to others who celebrate Passover or other occasions. Spring is a time of new life in the northern hemisphere. 

I arrived back in Grenada on Saturday after a week in Dominica. I attended the Easter Vigil, which Catholics recognize as a bit of a ceremony. Mass and other things on Sunday, so this post comes in on Monday, a holiday on the island.

Candle in the darkness
The post this week will be short because I’m still processing everything I heard and saw, so I've added pictures. This was my first chance, between travel restrictions, prior commitments, and school that I was allowed to visit my community of Tete Morne in Dominica since Maria.

Overlook from Tete Morne to Sourfriere 

Some time after Maria, still a better view of the Sulfur Springs

I wanted to return for a variety of reasons. I was able to tell the principal, teachers, and students that I think they are very important, deserve help, and that I wanted to return but that I’m not allowed to as a Peace Corps volunteer. I told them that I wished Peace Corps could have been better for the people of Dominica since Maria. I also met other people around the island to get better understand their experiences and perspectives, needs and resources.

The school in Tete Morne looks a bit like mine now.

OK, the visual learning aids are newer

And the paint fresher

And the playing court larger

Still, with dividers, a lot like the one I'm teaching in now

I should note that Peace Corps did even get up to my village in the initial check after Maria nor bother to visit in the recently completed site survey. I went up and down on the road in the approximately 30 minute drive from the Peace Corps office. And yes, some of the road in the river valley is now gravel, but certainly not dangerous. I don’t know all the details of why staff makes certain decisions, beyond my pay grade anyway. However, I sometimes wonder what some people would think of West African roads in the rainy season if they are worried about that one.

Not a river crossing, just one of the many rivers
 
One of the many overlooks near the city

There are problems in families, organizations, countries, and the world. Nothing is perfect. I think it is good to recognize opportunities for improvement and to try to make things better. Although, you can get criticized and labeled a malcontent for such things.

Working to bring the good water from the Tete Morne side down to Sourfiere and a new resort

I do think that Peace Corps can make improvements in how it faces challenges in serving Eastern Caribbean. Climate change is real and the chance of a major hurricane hitting Dominica has increased. Personally, knowing what volunteers live with in Africa, I think Easter Caribbean can step up its game. Climate change threatens many countries we serve, are we going to turn our backs on these countries and on our legacy because of problems we helped to create?

Doing things better the next time is what we all want from our families, organizations, countries, and our world. I want the Corps to live up to its proud tradition and to the dedication of the volunteers.


The sad remnants of the spinal cord and skull of a whale 

I’m glad I went, glad I saw some of beautiful nature island still with scares and with new growth. I needed to go to tell those I met that I’m sorry and that wish I could have fulfilled my pledge. As a PCV on vacation I even got to work on building a rabbit hutch.

Putting it together
(And OK, it was sunny and I didn't notice my thumb... :-)

Like I almost know what I'm talking about

The island nation has a lot of potential and has made significant progress since Erika and Maria. More progress might have been made if more Peace Corps volunteers had been allowed to return or if those who were allowed to return had been given more support, if they worked harder to define response volunteers, but that is the way of things and in the past.

The island would also be farther along if some of the island leaders had been able to make more progress. Around the world individuals aren’t getting the help they deserve and they have to go it alone without support from governments and organizations, because resources are wasted by others.

But that is the way of the world these days. Certainly, with Flint and so many other problems - my country has been made worse by actions/inactions of government and organizations - to support the few at the expense of the many.


New house across the ravine from my old house which is completely restored
(So well, I forgot to take pictures)
A different waterfall I hadn't seen
Still, there is always hope – particularly in this season of new life. We can each try a bit harder. Try to understand the challenges, seek out the opportunities, and be flexible. Anyway, that is suppose to be a key trait of Peace Corps and one repeatedly driven home to trainees and volunteers in Ghana.

I think I’ll get back to my major topic next week and maybe talk about mushrooms.



Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training