A long delayed post

So grateful to have been able to spend time with my amazing mom

My previous post was August 4 and my apologies for the long pause. It was hard to get back to writing and when I’m in pre-service training I probably will not have time to write, and then I don’t know about internet once I get at site. So future pauses may be longer than this one.

I first want to say that leaving Grenada was very hard and a big part of this break in writing. I miss my friends and students on Grenada and in the Eastern Caribbean. My apologies for leaving. Volunteers need to feel they are supported by the Peace Corps to stay and that may be difficult when there are major staff changes at post.

Such a next trip up to Missoula to visit my daughter, her photographer husband, and her photogenic dog


And yet, I think the universe conspires to open and close doors. My decision to leave (normal close of service COS rather than extend) has meant spending time with my family in Arkansas, particularly my 86 year old mom. I moved out of Arkansas when I was 19 and this is the first time I’m back for more that a week. So, I’m comfortable with the decision and happy that I’ve had time in Arkansas and my visits to kids, grandkids, and friends. So sorry I didn’t get more opportunities to see so many others on my list.

Medical clearance


Medical clearance seemed to have taken more time even though my health hasn’t changed. I trust that the medical unit had its reasons but my doctor didn’t see the need for some of the tests, and I would have preferred not have had spent the money, but I got cleared and got confirmation that my body is holding up with its orbits around the sun. So, it is all good.

Television interview


Peace Corps works with those invited to generate news coverage. My story was picked up the be local television station. I thought the reporter did a good job and I’m including a link to the story.

KNWA: Centerton man beigns Peace Corps service in Ethiopia


Leaving soon


I will be staging on Jan 12/13 and flying to Ethiopia on the 14/15. Sorry for the past and future delays. Thanks for reading, I'll hopefully get back to a weekly schedule as soon as possible.

As we start this new decade and as I said in the interview – It is hard leaving family and friends to try to make the world a better place and promote world peace and friendship. I’m fortunate to be able to travel to a different country and learn about a different culture while doing this. And very fortunate for the support of my family and friends.

Everyone can work the make the world a better place in their daily lives. I encourage volunteering but the normal actions around family, work, and the spiritual life are important and make a difference. We improve our lives, country, and world by helping others and by caring about the entire planet. One day at a time, one step at a time, one kind action after another.

I have a lot of reasons for doing what I do. Two big small ones are pictured below.




Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training