Worry

First, I want to say that I’m fine. No temperature or other symptoms and I can end my self quarantine. 

Last week I was readjusting from jet lag. This week I’ve been trying to begin my adjustment to life after Peace Corps.

Everyone is different, but based on my past experience I giving myself a month for my initial readjustment to life in the states – putting major decisions on hold until then. My plan is to complete my quarantine today and spend two weeks with my mom before deciding my next step.


Mom 

Missy and Chris (with baby Andy)

Libby and Andy

Samantha and Brandon

Daniel and Laura
Second, I want to say that I’m worried. I’m worried for my mom, my family, my country, my planet. We as a country can and should do more to help everyone. This pandemic is going to hit everyone, but those with fewer resources will suffer more.

I’m also worried about the countries that I’ve served as a Peace Corps volunteer and the people there. In the case of Ethiopia, I worry about the people I might now never be able to serve even if I’m fortunate enough to return to service. This pandemic is a challenge for the United States so it will also challenge Ghana, Dominica, Grenada, Ethiopia, and the rest of the world with fewer resources.


Ghana

Dominica

Grenada

Ethiopia
Third, I want to say that I’m not worried about myself – only how my actions might inadvertently hurt others. Yes, there is always a risk “putting yourself out there”. But I and many others have found it is worth the risk.

Let's be careful out there
Everyone can help, with different people in different circumstances helping in different ways.

Yeah some people will not help. Some will take advantage of the crisis for monetary gain. Others will make things worse. Sorry, but (expletive deleted) them all.

We can do this. First take care of yourself and those around you. There are lots of things that can be done from a safe physical distance while maintaining social connections. Senior citizens in the UK setting up support networks. (Guardian article about support networks in the UK for/by the elderly)  We can all do something.



I want to acknowledge our truly essential workers. They have to go out in this crisis to care for, feed, and clean up after the rest of us. God bless them. Not to get overly political but I hope our country and our economy changes to recognize that they deserve to have their jobs valued and properly rewarded for the value they provide to the economy.

I don’t know what I’m going to do, but I hope to go out and do something. I’ll spend some of the next two weeks looking at opportunities.

Finally, I’d like to remind readers that my “Love Always” has a double meaning – it is really a recommendation that people always love, always act with love. This seems to be a good time to repeat the aspiration I have for myself and others.


Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training