Still in between

God bless the essential workers – health care, grocery, postal, agriculture, transportation, safety, and others who have had to go out into the world since COVID-19 started while the rest of us tried to reduce the spread. There are still a lot of unknowns and concerns about the near term future for the country and the world. Hopefully infection rates will not spike and these frontline essential workers can stay safe as states reopen more fully.

Some evacuated Peace Corps volunteers have been accepted to graduate school or found full time employment. I'm happy for them and I wish those currently interviewing good luck with the job and school search.

I can relate to evacuated volunteers who continue to live “in the between” of service abroad and life at home in the pandemic. Our evacuation was about two months. It isn’t easy and I give a nod to those frustrated and eager to get back to being more active but not able to take that step yet.


/The new look to face a pandemic

I would like to fulfill my pledge to the people of Ethiopia, but my return is not a sure thing and likely wouldn’t happen until early next year.

In the mean time there is stuff around my mom’s house and yard. I’m also working on learning and improving some skills that might be useful if I’m able to return to Peace Corps.

I’d like to find something close by related to the pandemic response, but also don’t want to bring anything home to mom. I’ve had a couple of interviews for cool jobs, but they would be out of state and full time so I would not be able to help my mom and they would preclude a return to Ethiopia.


Happy Mother's day

So, I'm busy with a few more things such as finishing my Close of Service physical and then I'll get some traveling in to visit family and friends depending on this pandemic.  I'll write about the next major step when I know.  Until then, I'll remain in between with a lot of others.  

Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training