Family: Part 1 and D-day

Last week, my last full week stateside, was full of activities.  I was able to visit my family in Arkansas and help celebrate my mom’s 80th birthday.  The visit was WONDERFUL – one last face to face time with family before departure.  The visit was short, but a short amount of time is normal for people so close to departure to the Peace Corps.  My wonderful daughter also came into town one last to time to help with seeing me off at a party yesterday.  Thanks to Brandon, Chris, Missy, and all those able to come by say farewell.

Distance changes the family dynamics.  I've been away from my family for more than half of my life. My relationship is not the same as family members who live near each other.  My relationships are strong, but it is easier for me not to get under other’s skin or to let them get under mine during short visits.  It is not that I would not or could not annoy people – they know that I could.  The distance just means that we have to work harder at the relationship and not take each other for granted.  Those living closer together have more time to bump off the rough edges - which is not always easy - working harder still.  Sometimes we just need to take a step back rather than digging in the heals.  Easy to say at a distance.

Taking about distance, flying a quarter of the way around the world, 6 hours for those math types that divide 24 hours in a day by 4, will put some strain on my family ties – I will so miss them intensely.  It is fortunate that we have ways of communicating to ease the distance.  Our love is strong enough for this and as we saw with Theresa, difficulties can serve to strengthen and deepen the love.  This is really hard, but I'm doing this thing!  Love to you all.

D-Day


I left the house as good as I could before my son and his wife take over the place.  But there is still a lot to do.  My new windows look great partially installed and I’m sure once they are done with the trim they will be very nice; I’ll see the finished results when I visit in September 2015. 

Nerves.  Lack of time.  Last minute calls to utilities and banks.  Repacking.  Hoping that I brought most of the right stuff.  Thinking about what I forgot.  Knowing now it is too late.

These last few days have bombarded me with a smattering of random and rapid thoughts and emotions enough to overwhelm the mind.  My brain shutdown several times in these past few days – but I’m eager to take the next step.  The flight to DC on Southwest Airlines was great - no baggage fees !!!!  I'm now resting in the hotel after a wonderful first to two very dear friends from Baltimore.

A friend of mine was not able to complete, even really start, her service in the Peace Corps.  She completed training, but her site accommodations would not work.  As if I did not have enough to worry about the problems that other people have encountered add to the “what-if’s”.  

I wish my friend, all my Peace Corps friends and all volunteering for the Peace Corps the best.  Sometimes it does not workout the way we want, but such curves makes life interesting.  Annoying at times, but still interesting.  "Challenging" a better word than "interesting"?  Maybe !  :-)

We can never answer the "what-if's" of the future, prepare yes, but until we face the present we can never know the answer.  Our electronic forms of communication allow the good and unfortunate situations in the Peace Corps to be shared easily.  Things that happen to other volunteers circle around the web - the good brings confidence and the unfortunate situations bring second thoughts to those thinking of what might happen.

I don’t have much words of wisdom for the future volunteers going off in the next hours, days, or weeks.  I thought I had enough time, but as I said – the little and big things tended to overwhelm me until the clock came close and I had to push everything else aside and just keep working at getting everything ready.  There is never enough time for everything.  Good luck to all about to depart.

I’m so looking forward to meeting the volunteers going to Ghana in my group.  26 people invited to teach math and science.  We meet in Washington DC on Monday, although some are coming in on today.  Safe travels everyone.

I think about the volunteers and staff currently serving in Ghana along the staff back in the states supporting the volunteers and the mission of the Peace Cops.  I’m looking forward to serving with you all.

Finally, to all the volunteers serving around the world and their families and friends separated from those they love, but loving them across the miles.  Thank you for all you do in small and large ways to make the world better.  This of course goes beyond Peace Corps service – we all want a better world and those who work towards that goal - helping others, helping the planet - find a deep satisfaction that is worth more than money or recognition.  Thanks…..

Radio Silence

I’m off and so this blog may gather a little dust as I focus on training and living in a different country and culture.  Depending on the internet I’ll try to post some pictures or a few short thoughts during the 2.5 months of training – but I’m thinking that stepping away from the internet, blogs and Facebook, will help me focus on the work at hand.  Once at site I'll end radio silence and try for weekly reflections.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training