Happy Father's day, health, rabbit hutch part 3

Happy Father's day


As a Peace Corps Volunteer who is also a father and a grandfather (of a grandson I have yet to hold) I would like to wish all a Happy Father's Day. There are probably less then 7,000 current PCVs (latest stat I could find was 6,818 from 2014), about 37% male, and about 7% are over 50. My guess is that less than 200, certainly less than 300 are fathers.

With another holiday to remind me that I'm away from my children I am reminded of the sacrifices people make. All those political and economic migrants trying to get to Europe and lost at sea, military on long tours in hostile situations, and the millions struggling just to have a roof and something to eat. My sacrifice seems trivial. 

To be honest the work, like any work, is sometimes rewarding and sometimes frustrating (more the later lately), does not make the sacrifice easier.

I miss my kids and yesterday doing laundry – trying to clean my sheets – I miss a washing machine and other first world conveniences – but this is all part of the next approximately 421 days before I complete my service.

However, strange enough - I'm happy with my decision. I never expected it to be easy or always fun. I expected it to be more difficult and frustrating than it has been. So all in all a Happy Father's Day.

Sticking with the numbers theme I have just 55 days until I fly back for family visits and my daughter's wedding in 83 days.


New School and Travel


We are still waiting to receive the keys to the new school from the primary school. Maybe this week.

We will have a PTA meeting on Tuesday.  I hope to discuss how Peace Corps and the community can work together to make the library / computer room a more useful place.

This week I will be going to Kumasi to attend a Food Security Committee meeting. That will impact teaching and building the rabbit hutch, but it is an important meeting.


Rabbit Hutches


As I will mention below the work on the rabbit hutches has been slower than I would like. First I needed to cut some braces for the side supports. Cutting those diagonals in the hard wood took some time. I had to cut 16 and may need some more.


Surprisingly time consuming task of cutting 16 wedges with a crosscut saw.

Center support attached to the back frame
I also had to cut about 8 inches off the bottom of the legs so the cages would not be so high for the average Ghanaian. My last big thing was to cut the center back brace. This part will supply some stability to the hutch that is about 8 feet wide. It will also serve as the edge to divide the top into two cages. The bottom with be divided into three cages.

Back side of the hutches with the center post cut and put in place

I'm about ready to glue and nail the front and back frames.  Then I will connect them with the side pieces.  Then I can start putting down the wire on the floors.  Then build up the rest of the cages and finally make the doors.


Health


I have been tired most of the week. My family knows that means I am fighting something – when I'm sick I just want to sleep. Also, it seems the one can be dehydrated even though you are drinking plenty of water. On Monday and Tuesday I continue to feel exhausted. I was going to the bathroom enough for all the water I was taking, but I was not sweating much. I went to bed both days during the day and slept for a good bit of time.

I decided to take the oral rehydration salts again on Wednesday and Thursday. This involves putting a premeasured packet into 1 liter of water and then drinking the saltwater within 24 hours. I go through a liter in less than 8. I am feeling better, but I'm still tired. I am back to sweating, which I guess is a good thing.

All this feeling tired has slowed down my progress on the rabbit hutches and other projects.

I also found out that you can get ringworm, which is just a fungus not a worm, on the back of your hand. I've never heard of a fungal infection on such an open part of the skin, but then I've never lived in the tropics before. I'm cleaning and putting an antifungal cream and it is on the mend.


After a couple of days of antifungal cream the sore is looking better.


I still have a sinus infection, headache, and body aches - so cold, flu, or allergies.  I'm tired of feeling sick and tired - warning to the locals: grouchy old white man.  Still, it is nothing major, but it is slowing me down a bit.

As an added torment - this is black fly season - working outside they swarm and let me know where all of my sores are.  I don't have so many - one on my left ankle and one on my right calf in addition to the one on me hand.  On a positive note as they are feasting on the sore they are surprising easy to kill.


Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training