New school, rains, getting ready for planting, rabbit hutch part 2



New School


The previous volunteer worked hard to convince the regional school manager that the junior high school needed a new building – thanks Jessica. We watched the new school being built. It has six large classrooms, a library, a storeroom, and office, and a staff room. Our current school has three smaller classrooms, a storage room, and an office. Our staff room is desks pulled out onto the grounds. We have a temporary shade shelter in the dry season.


Using computers in the form one classroom.  At least there is room here somewhat.

We were to move into the new building at the start of this year, then by the end of term one, and then term two. The school was finally handed over to the community a few weeks ago and the community promptly gave it to the primary school even though the junior high school was to get it. We would stay put or go to the oldest block in the primary that has three slightly larger classrooms than ours. We could not even move to the old primary that would be vacant and have more classrooms and an office.

Our headmaster was going to accept the community decision but the white man pressed, politely, that if we don't have an extra room for computers I can't do much. Of course the headmaster and other teachers also wanted a fair deal.

So another meeting was called. The primary headmistress did not show up (but moved in the new school). So yet another meeting was called last week. During the discussion with the regional school manager, members of the community, the headmaster of the Junior High and the headmistress of the Primary school things were worked out (hopefully, my fingers crossed). We are to get 4 of the six large classrooms. 

We will split our 73 form two's into two classes – we don't get extra teachers, but the headmaster was behind the idea and it gave us a 2/3 majority of the classrooms. I'd rather teach two classes of 36 or 37 than one class of over 70  (also something the white man was pressing to do for months). I don't get a large classroom dedicated for a computer room, but will share space with the library. The upper two grades of primary will take the other two classrooms.

I'll work with the community to turn the library into a library and computer lab. Not sure when or how that will happen, but we will wait and hope.


Community inspecting the new school building.

One of the new classrooms.

All we have to do now is wait for the primary to move out – they were not suppose to move in until a punch list was completed and anyway they were told not to move in until the meeting. Now it might be hard to get the contractor to finish the work properly. We also have to move our electricity up to the new school to move the computers.  So maybe the start of next school year. More to come.




Planting time has arrived hoping the rains will continue.


We had about an inch of rain this week and it looks like we might get some more at some point - there has been rain in the area, but not in our community at couple of times this week. This has kicked farming into high gear with Roger and others working 12 hours in the heat to get ready and to plant some things in the flood plane. Some crops have already been planted in the valley, but nothing (except my zai trench garden) on the side of the hill.

I have some seeds planted in the zai trenches, but I'm waiting for the rain to bring on germination. (Hopefully) I have half of the experiment planted.

The school has a field behind my place that they use to grow millet and on Friday the students readied the field. The form 1 and form 2 students, about a 100 were present, took hoes to the field in the morning. They worked together or posed for pictures to get the fields ready. It took less than two hours (Maybe six or seven acres.)

Students lined up to start work.

Students working

Or not working so hard

Another dedicated student

Note to lines of hills in the field.  The millet will be planted in the mounds to avoid being washed away in the rain.

Rabbit hutches part 2


I'm happy and relieved to report progress on the rabbit hutches. I have all of the wood cut for the structural parts of the front on the back of the hutches. I'm using lap joints for this. I still need to make the sides. I think I'm going to use a brace support system for that part.

The vertical parts and the boards that will support the cages are the heavy boards. I completed the cuts on joints for the four verticals and four horizontals supporting the cages on Friday (having completed part of the work earlier in the week). I also measured the boards for the top of the cages which uses a lighter wood.

On Saturdays I cut the cage headers and completed the joints, so basically doubled the work completed. Progress.

Front and back sides leaning against my wall.  There will be three cages below and two cages above.

I now need to figure out how to attach the sides, likely with 45 degree braces if I have the wood. Update and hopefully more progress next week ….


Health


The locals are able to work outside throughout the day. Some days from before sun up to sun down, other times coming home around 1 pm. I was working on the rabbit hutches in my back porch on Friday. I worked from about 9 to 2 taking breaks to get water and such. (I completely forgot about the cooling towel I was given. Big mistake.)

The water and resting was not enough. Granted I had on jeans and was on concrete in the sun. I was feeling very tired when I finished but needed to go to town. I took a cooling bucket bath before leaving, but was still not feeling great. By the time I got back home I was exhausted. Heat exhausted with a temperature of about 101. So I got some more fluids including hydration salts and went to bed at 6. I was better by the morning with my normal body temperature of about 97.9  (and yes I am cool).  I was able to work in shorts most of Saturday without problems to make the progress that I did.

Otherwise, I'm doing fine.  I'm looking forward to Samantha's wedding which is approaching fast.


Love always,

John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training