Second week back at site

Lunar eclipse


Our full lunar eclipse on Monday morning was around 2 am. I got to see it, but I was not able to get a good shot of the red moon. Our moon with high in the sky and small. I did get a reasonable shot of the beginning of the eclipse.  At least I saw it.  Many of the other volunteers around Ghana had overcast skies.

Start of the eclipse

Maybe by 2033 I'll have a better camera and a tripod to catch a better shot.

We start the computer room and library


We have started the computer room and the library at the new school. I took some of the money out and so work has begun. I should be getting my letter signed by Monday. I hope it gets signed because I've already started work and I have therefore lost my leverage – but I will leave that to the headmaster.


Actually, in compliance with best practices, I'm letting the headmaster take the lead on most of the project. I'm there for consultation and to make some decisions, such as which projector we should get. The electrician is at work as is the carpenter. Because the desks and the projector came in under budget we have asked a welder for an estimate to make the computer room more secure (bars on the windows and door). It would have been better to make the changes when the school was under construction, but that was not in the cards. I'm just happy that we seem to be making good progress.


Harvest time


The school, like most schools, grow crops. The harvest is use for the school celebrations and the students do most of the work. This week was millet and peanut harvest. The harvest was successful, but did cut into my class time.

School millet ready for harvest

Girls harvesting and showing their balancing ability

Boys harvesting

Classes


As I've previously said – I'm teaching computer to all the years (forms) this year. I've got a good schedule with no classes on Monday and only one class on Friday.  At this time I'm just doing lectures. All of this is in my lesson notes.  Lesson notes that did not take into account all day Thursday spent harvesting millet.  (So my lesson notes for next week are ready.)  Once the computer room is up I'll see how I can adjust my schedule to allow the students enough computer time.


Health


I'm working on planks and stretches. There seems to be some improvement in my shoulder. My cough is also reduced. Neither is completely gone, but reduced.


Love always,

John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Ghana Archery and Travel to Tamale