Close of Service - Ghana '14 - '16



At Close of Service (COS) the Peace Corps Volunteer (PCV) transitions into a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer (RPCV).  My COS was July 15th, the day before my birthday.

The close of service for most Peace Corps volunteers in Ghana would involve a village celebration with singing and dancing and (for my village) pito. 

Because I was medically evacuated I COSed in St. Louis.  And because it was also my birthday my daughter and son-in-law helped me celebrate by taking me to Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar.  We had a great meal and great wine.  Thanks Sam and Brandon!


Food pictures are typical for PCVs and RPCVs.  In this case the steak pictured was overcooked (but still good)
It was kindly replaced and the one cooked to order (medium rare) was amazing!

Zoo visit


Also as part of my birthday, Samantha and I went to the St. Louis zoo.  We had a great time and she has a great sense of humor with birthday cards.


No gorillas were harmed in making this picture
I obviously can't smile and take a picture at the same time.




Medically cleared


As it turns out I needed to get a root canal on the tooth that I cracked while in Ghana.  Too bad they did not just do that in Morocco when they put the crown on, but it did not seem necessary at the time.  The root canal was last week and I will get a permanent filling (as they drilled through the crown) this week.  This is the final, final medical thing I need to do – having already been medically cleared by the pulmonologist and my family doctor.

Next Step


My next step is to visit my family in Arkansas this week and then on to visit Theresa’s family in Canada and Michigan the following week.  I might miss a blog post or two along with way as I start travelling.  I’m eager to share a future step – but that will have to wait.

Love always,

John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training