Waiting for medical review



I am still waiting for medical review and still expecting additional tasks.  I'm guessing that I will be asked to get some vaccinations.  But I honestly don’t know.

The medical group does not review each task as they are submitted.  It is my understanding that they wait until all medical tasks are complete to begin the review.  (They may have reviewed my dental clearance because of a question that I asked.)

I should also remember that this is a busy time for Peace Corps with a lot of volunteers deploying like me around May and June.  So they have a lot of people trying to get medical clearance at this time and medical may be a little backed up.  Of course this is also over the Christmas and New Year holidays.

My medical tasks were not due until January 12th, so I should not worry (and they may not get my case in the queue to review until then).  I am checking email each day to see if I have gotten medical clearance or additional tasks.  As I’ve said many times before, having patience during the application process is good training for the patience required to get through training and service.  I’ve been through this before, but to be honest - I’m still a little anxious to have an answer.

Still, if I don't hear something by the end of this week, I'll send a message just to make sure things are on track.  I mean I can take this patience thing only so far.

Work


I continue at my part time job, the one I took mainly to get out of the house and to be around people.  Certainly it was not because of the money, although every little bit helps of course, with the emphasis on “little bit”.

The job has given me a lot of opportunities for third goal activities.  As a review: besides promoting world peace and friendship there are three Peace Corps goals.  The first goal is to provide trained volunteers to directly help the host country and citizens.  The second goal is to promote a better understanding of Americans in the country and around the world.  These first two goals really have made a difference in the admiration of America around the world.  Many current political and business leaders have stories of how a Peace Corps volunteer dramatically and positively changed their lives.

The third goal is to promote a better understanding of the host country and its culture among Americans.  This allows Americans who are not able to volunteer for two years to still learn some of the lessons gained by the volunteer, and there are many.

My job allows me to tell others about Peace Corps and my time in Ghana.  I have inspired some people to consider volunteering.  Others are very interested in the "third goal" stories of how people in Ghana are similar to and different from Americans.


Plans for the next few months


After I hear from medical and either receive medical clearance, or get bad news, then I will decide how to proceed with my current job.  If I am leaving for two years around the end of May then I would like some time off to visit family and friends here, in Canada, and in Europe as well as get the house ready for my 2 year absence.

If I am not leaving then I would still like to do those visits, but will need to think of a different job that provides benefits and better pay.  Karl or anyone else reading this blog keep me in mind if you have something in the coming months :-)

But for now, I can enjoy the time and wait patiently or otherwise for medical.

Love always,

John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training