Grandchildren

Elizabeth Grace was born on Thursday.


Elizabeth Grace

My second grandchild was born on Thursday – Elizabeth Grace.  Baby and mom are doing great.  Dad and big brother, my first grandchild, are also fine.  

Mom and baby

Dad and Aunt

Sam with Lizzy

Big brother Andy


It was so very nice to be able to share the joyous occasion face to face with this new child.  The hospital was just down the street.

Last time I was in Ghana for the delivery.  The first time I saw Andy face to face was when he was 7 months old.  I’ll miss Lizzy’s 7 month face along with her first and second birthday if I’m able to go serve in the Peace Corps this next time.

Away from Family


Being away from family and friends is one of the hardships of Peace Corps service.  In many ways you put your life on hold while the rest of the world continues on.  At least it can seem that way.  For many volunteers my age that means missing out on grandchildren and worrying about the health of a parent and so many other things.  I talked with younger volunteers in Ghana and they had to deal with friends getting married and having children.  Two years away is difficult in many ways.

And yet we go.  I’m not sure if my wife would have signed up for this second tour.  She always wanted grandchildren and I think that she would have had a very hard time leaving any behind.  It is certainly hard for me, but after her death I was not going to be a normal grandfather.  The people who know me who might say I was never going to be a normal grandfather, a normal person, in any case.  They are probably right.

Grandchildren and family responsibilities is one of the reasons many older people are not available to volunteer for the Peace Corps.  I think that is wonderful – we all have our place in life and comparing one to another simplifies and insults both.  As I’ve said before we all try to do what we think is best to make the world a better place.  I am comforted in the fact that my son's in-laws are in town and supportive.  And over course my daughter is also in town.

Legal clearance


I’m still waiting on legal clearance.  However, there are 9 other people in the Facebook group also reporting that they are waiting on legal clearance and only 6 who have said that they received the email.  Presuming that people are going to update the survey then I’m not alone is waiting and wondering about the hold up.


Travel plans


I booked my airline tickets.  I tried to book them on Friday night, but had some trouble with the website so I waited until Saturday morning.  That cost me an extra $250.  Oh well, it is only money.  I might decide to work an extra couple of weeks to make up the difference or just shrug it off.  Depends on how much I get down around the house this week.  I’ll be gone for two weeks and now need to begin to pencil in where I will go during my time there.


Love always,

John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training