First week on Dominica


My first week on Dominica has been great.  I’m very happy with the homestay family who will be helping me during the last 4 weeks of training.  They are kind and support me and the Peace Corps mission.  Much better than some families who only seem to be in it for the money and to complain.  

Homestay is an important part of training but some people are better suited than others to host a trainee.  Still, all part of the cultural adjustment that is part of every Peace Corps experience in every country.


Language and island training


These last 4 weeks are about learning some of the local language, a French Kweyol, and island specific training.  I’m working hard to learn the language but it will take some time.  We have a good teacher and I hope to eventually become proficient.  I’ll have a lot of opportunities to practice as the language is more commonly spoken in the south, rather than in the north of the island.  Right now I’m just using canned phrases.

The other part of the training is to get to know more about the island.  We had a Kalinago Ph.D. candidate give a history of the island.  The original people call themselves the Kalinago and this island Waitikubuli (“Tall is her body”).  This is a very mountainous heavily forested island.  The tree cover impacts the weather and increases the amount of rain on the island – so many rivers (365) and waterfalls. Alias, being at the top of the mountain, none are within easy walking distance.

View of the southern part of the island and the mountains.

Mountains around me always seems to have clouds and light rain is not even considered rain.

Still, even as the largest of the islands served by Peace Corps it is under 300 square miles – about 30 miles long and 18 miles wide.  I should be able to visit almost every volunteer and nice beaches, rivers, and waterfalls within 2 hours by bus if the wait to fill is not long. 
  
On Wednesday my homestay family took me for a swim in Freshwater Lake – the largest of Dominica’s four lakes.  It is 2,500 feet above sea level. The water was a little chilly but fine once you jumped in.  Afterwards, one could stand under one of the hot water springs in the area.  Dominica has geothermal energy and I will be walking to a hot sulfur spring to the east of my site some weekend soon.

Drove over the highest road point on the way to Freshwater lake.  Relatively close to my site by private car.

On the way up the mountain.  Stopping at an overlook.

Part of Freshwater lake, very nice swim, but I'm out of shape after 8 weeks of sitting in training sessions

Warming up after a dip in the lake on a hot spring.

Other natural hot springs along the mountain side.

I hope to do this hike at some point.


On Friday my training group went to the Old Mill Cultural center to learn more about the history of the island.  After the tour we saw some traditional dances.



History of the Cultural Center

After water wheels a steam powered sugar cane cutter and press was used.

Our training group watching the dancers

Accordion player turned dancer to demonstrate an African style "belle" dance. 

One of the carnival costumes on display in the museum


Some examples of local art work.

More local art work.

We also had a nutrition training and a nice lunch.  I’m looking forward to learning to cook some of the food.   The big market day in Roseau, a 30 minute bus ride away, is Saturday.

Roseau market in the background and bright sun in my face.


Training overall is going well.  We have a great APCD, Ferne, who takes a genuine interest in the trainees and volunteers.  Really looking forward to my service and sharing stories and pictures.

Shrine built in 1928 on North Point battery on Morne Bruce overlooking Roseau and the bay.

Sunset on Roseau and my first week on Dominica.


Love always,

John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training