Getting rid of some things, buying other things


Parting with things.


This week I made progress on getting rid of some things that I had been saving.  My plan is to have everything I want to keep on one set of shelves in the basement along with a large handing bag for some clothing, a small spinning wheel, and a small side table of sentimental value.  I think I’m getting close to that with the help of my children.  But, I still have more work to do.

The hardest things to part with this week were books and some Red Cross things that Theresa and I had acquired.  It seems that each time I go through my books, and I started with a lot, I cut the number of books in half.  I’m now down to less than one box.  I have to take a deep breath and trust in libraries and the internet during the process.

The Red Cross stuff was emotionally hard to sort.  This included cleaning up the “go box” for disasters that Theresa made, and going through our certificates, awards, and equipment.  (Theresa and I were local Red Cross Disaster volunteers for about 9 years.)  Some expired things I tossed, some I will donate back, some I’ll save, and some I plan to take to the islands.

Administrative hold progress


Down, but hopefully not out.....
or - "Hey I was looking for that sign the day after Maria"

The Peace Corps and Dominica have had a good working relationship for 50 years.  Dominica needs Peace Corps more than ever.  Peace Corps needs to be in Dominica if at all possible.  Peace Corps volunteers are strong, capable, and face many challenges around the world.  I know that staff in Eastern Caribbean and Washington D.C. know and understand these facts and ideals.  However, I continue to make the case that Peace Corps should go back to Dominica and I should go back to serve Tete Morne.


The assessment team from St. Lucia will be on the ground in Dominica this week and into next week to assess the island at a macro level and individual sites.  They will decide if the island can support Peace Corps and also if each site can support the volunteer.  All the information will be organized and sent to Washington for a final decision.  I trust the process and the people, but it is hard to wait on the sideline.

I think the three possible options are: complete service on Dominica, complete service on another Easter Caribbean island, close out service.  Even if some people are offered the option of going back to Dominica, others might not.  At this point, I don’t know which option or options I’ll have, but I should know by Nov. 10th.

This is from a shirt that I had made in Ghana with fabric design by and made for my group
The symbol: Wawa aba  "seed of the wawa tree" representing hardness,  toughness,  perseverance
I'll take it the shirt and the idea on my return...

Buying things….


So, I don’t know for sure if I’m going back as a Peace Corps Volunteer and going back to Dominica seems like a long shot… 

So, I’ve been working hard to get rid of stuff I’ve accumulated...

What else did I do this week?     Buy more stuff!!!

I already bought some things.  I’m still waiting on a replacement phone I ordered weeks ago and I have my replacement laptop configured although I hope to transfer some files on my return.

This week a ordered a bigger power pack than the one I left at my site, two portable solar panels, two solar “lamps”, a battery charger to replace one spoiled, 5 gallon and 1 gallon mylar bags with oxygen absorbers, a personal water filter, and some seeds.  I still have to order some more seeds and I’m still looking at other things that might be helpful. 

Most of these things I’ve bought with the idea that I will be returning to Dominica one way or another: Electricity for cell phone communication, lights (when electric service might be months away), food storage, water, and food production.

Even if I’m sent to a different island as a Peace Corps Volunteer I’d bring a solar panel and a solar lamp.  Who knows which island will get hit the next time?  If I don’t go back to Dominica then I will donate most of the seeds and half of the stuff to a family in Tete Morne to use and share as they see fit.

I’ve also organized some Red Cross and Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) items to pack.  I will create a new packing list post before I return.

Weekend plans –


I decided to shift my visit to my family in Arkansas for this coming weekend.

Love always,

John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training