Weekend Shopping in Grenville

Saturday Morning Market


Goodbye St. Lucia

I returned from St. Lucia on Friday, got back to my site by 2 pm – and I pretty much fell asleep until 5. After a small dinner I went back to sleep. I’m feeling better now.

Saturday morning is market day in Grenville. The shops and the markets are open during the week, but Saturday is the major day. It is like a farmer’s market everyday, because it is. I got some laundry done first and headed off to restock my supplies.

There is a fish market in town, but fishermen also sell by the side of the road before Grenville. The bus will stop so you can buy some. I’ve not done that yet, but sometime…

Really fresh fish

My first stop in town was the seed store to get sweet corn seeds. The popcorn that I planted to be poles for the beans didn’t show signs of sprouting. I’m looking forward to freshly picked sweet corn.

After the seed store I went to the fresh market. I normally get plantains, eggs, and other things that look good. Today it was plantains, eggs, coconuts, cucumbers, and green beans. I also bought potatoes and tomatoes from street vendors.


Vendors


Spices

Eggs and chicken
Street vendors

The final stop was to a grocery store for some frozen chicken and a few staples. All in all a decent trip. The exchange rate is about $10EC to $3.70USD. The 4 coconuts and 15 eggs were each $10EC. The plantains, cucumbers, potatoes, tomatoes, and green beans were $5EC each.


Fresh produce.


Garden


Starting over with the garden - bean plants will now become part of the mulch layer

In the afternoon I used the cutlass to cut the grass around my garden. I also had to cut down my pole beans that were doing well but had no support. I wasn’t happy about doing it, but this will be better in the long run.  The sweet potato that I planted is also doing well, but I think the carrots got too much rain in the clay soil, so I’ll have to find a different spot or create a mound. (Although it is supposed to be the dry season now.)

Anyway, I turned over another spading fork width of ground so I could plant more rows of corn. The corn will serve as poles for the beans. Previously, my garden was just one spading fork wide for two rows of beans. Corn gets better pollination with 4 rows which is more important if you want a full ear of sweet corn. I’ll have pictures and further updates on the garden later.


Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training