A normal week in Grenada

OK, OK. With medical issues, sports week(s), Peace Corps stuff, and life I don’t really know what a “normal week” is. I’ve not had two weeks the same. However, if I generalize I can imagine a “normal” week.

Of course school is Monday to Friday. I typically get up by 6. If I got a good night sleep earlier – 4:30 to 5:00 is not uncommon. I’ll work on a couple of language apps (Memrise and Doulingo) on my phone for French. Je ne connais toujours qu’un peu de français. (I still only know a little bit of French).

After French and possibly a game or two if I have time I’ll get up for coffee and breakfast. After breakfast I have a simple exercise routine in the morning and then a shower. I’m out the door (hopefully) not later than 8 to get to school early.

School starts at 8:30. I have class with the 4th graders and then the 1st and 2nd graders in the morning – Monday through Thursday. In the afternoons those days I also have library hours
. I might go into Grenville to pay a bill or get something after school during the week

I don't have lessons scheduled for Friday.  It is s a normally sports or something else, again that normal that never is normal. If the kids are around and free in the afternoon for some reason you will generally find me in the library playing a game with them.  I try to schedule Peace Corps or other stuff on Fridays so I don't miss school.

School is over at 2:30 although I typically don’t leave until 2:45 or so. When I get home I might get a late lunch if I didn’t eat at school. Dinner comes later and eventually a shower and bed by 8 or 9 most nights.

Saturday mornings I might sleep in until 7, but yesterday I started my French at 4 and was making breakfast before 5 so I got an early start. Saturday is my laundry day so I’ll normally throw my cloths in the laundry sink to soak before breakfast. I’ll use my plunger (to agitate the cloths) several times between making breakfast and getting ready. I need to get my laundry done and on the line before I go into Grenville for my normal shopping.

I’ll normally go the farmer’s market first. There I will get plantains, eggs, and anything else that looks good. Then I’ll look over what the street vendors are selling and maybe buy potatoes, onions or something. Finally, I go to a grocery store and get whatever else I need.

After the bus ride home I’ll fix lunch. After lunch I’ll do some cleaning or something. If I have a coconut to shred, I’ll do that on Saturday or Sunday.


Dry mature coconut.  Coconuts are also sold fresh - more for the coconut water

I put a hole in the "monkey's mouth" to get the water - to drink and because I don't want a mess when I smash it

A mature coconut has significantly less water inside than the "green ones"

After it has been smashed on concrete a significant number of times it is ready to pry away the meat

I could scrap off the brown layer, but as I will grate it - I don't bother - more fiber.  :-)

First time I grated coconut I ending up grating my finger which bled a lot - so I'm more careful now

Grated coconut with some sugar sprinkled on - after I've eaten some ...

Saturday is also the day I work on my blog. I do the final edits and post it on Sunday after church. Sunday afternoon is normally relaxing, catching up with the family, and getting ready for school.

Along the way here and there during the week I might have time for a nap, to play a game or two on my phone, or watch Dr. Who or something.

This week will also not be a normal week as I have a Literacy Workshop Wednesday – Friday. Oh well, if I get a normal week I’ll let you know.

I do need to change up the weeks sometime in the future – possibly doing laundry on Sunday morning and shift shopping so I can do something different on Saturday – such as a beach day. I don’t want to spoil my record and have a normal week.


Garden


Germination test - about 70% sprouted - the pink color is a fungicide and or insecticide commonly added to seed corn
Container for the germination test

I’m regretting cutting the beans and planting corn because it has been almost a month and I’ve still not seen any corn seedlings. I waited a couple of weeks on the first planting. I thought maybe I planted too deep for the clay soil. But the second planting was certainly not too deep, and after 12 days it still didn’t sprout. So I did a germination test and noted that the seeds are about 70% viable.

It could be that they owner put down so much roundup that corn will not sprout in the ground. Certainly, little was growing before I turned the ground over. Another possibility is the clay soil and excessive rain is rotting the corn. I’ve not notices bugs or animals disturbing the soil. The seeds are coated with a pesticide or something to help with such things. I don’t know.

I moved in some different dirt as a top dressing and will give this corn one last try. I wish I had access to compost, composted manure, or something. But part of this is to see the challenges facing small gardeners in my area.


Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training