Preparing for Independence Day


School celebration
Skits and singing

Friday was the school’s independence celebration. Next Tuesday will be the celebration for the Church and Wednesday is Independence Day.

The celebration at school had two major components. First, a program for and with the children. Everyone dressed in the national colors of green, yellow, and red. The program was in the morning and involved skits and songs from the children and a speech from a former student.

The skits and songs were very nice. I really enjoyed the program.

Green, gold, and red - the colors of the flags of Grenada and Ghana


Having a camera out can be a distraction


Oil down – National dish


Some of the foods to be prepared - breadfruit, okra, green figs (bananas)

Hours of preparation


Oil down is the national dish of Grenada and the second part of the day was a competition cook-off of oil down. There are three “houses” (teams) in school and every year former students come to compete for the best soup.

I have it on high authority that the Oil Down in Munich is the best on the island. The soup is made in one large pot cooked over an open fire. It involves coconut, breadfruit, green bananas, callaloo, tumeric, carrots, garlic, onions, meat or fish, and spices. Some people might just toss the ingredients into the pot in any manner, but in my community the order and arrangement before cooking is important.

I spent most of my time watching the children, so I did not get a chance to get many pictures of the preparation. But I understand that it was wonderful.

Former students cooking for the school

A lot of work to make food for everyone

Layers and layers

Arranged and ready for the fire.

Unfortunately, I was not able to taste the soup because on Friday I also had a Peace Corps meeting in St. George’s at 3 pm. This meant that I had to go wait for a bus at 12, just as the pots were going onto the fires. After waiting about 40 minutes I got on the first of three buses, but did make it to the office a respectable amount of time before 3. The meeting lasted until about 4:30 and counting a quick dinner in Grenville I was back home by 7 pm.

Health


I’m doing better. My ears are generally clear during the day – but the tubes are still not right at night and in the morning. So, I continue to take the medication and wait. The doctors will make another decision in a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed for those who do that sort of thing.

Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training