Bus travel

Public bus is the typical method to get around the island for those without a car. This includes Peace Corps volunteers who are not allowed to drive cars in countries served by Peace Corps. So, for example, if I vacationed in Jamaica, which has volunteers, I would not be allowed to drive because basically the Country Director there is sort of responsible for me during my stay. However, if I were to go to Guadalupe, which does not have volunteers, I could rent and drive a car.

But enough about cars and what I can’t do – I can ride public transportation. And like most of the people on the island I depend on it for my travel. There are bus terminals in St. George’s and in Grenville. One can generally also pick up along most routes.


Outside portion of St. George's Terminal

Buses also queue up inside to cover all the routes

Part of the bus terminal in Grenville.  The first red bus on the left is for Munich,
local 9s to different villages line up next to the building

The buses for St. Georges and other parts queue up in the parking lot

Buses here, and other other islands I’ve visited, are privately owned and operated. Here they are licensed to operate over a specific route. In Grenada there are numbered routes and sub-routes within those. The route is prominently displayed on the passenger side windshield. If you are waiting along the route you just have to wave to be picked.

In some cases you have to ask about the route. For example, the number 2 buses in St. George’s terminal during the middle of the day might be marked for Grenville; however, they don’t go all the way. So I have to go to a different place and pick up one along the route that will go all the way. From Grenville, or Mt. Carmel if I drop early, I have to take a number 9 to Munich.


One of the #9's to Munich

The condition of buses are very good here. Some routes tend to have newer, bigger, and more comfortable buses. Most of the buses that run to between Grenville and Munich tend to be at little more “broken in” than those on some other routes.

All are better than some of the “tro tros” in my part of Ghana. Some of those didn’t have factory seats nor side panels. Also, on these buses I’ve not yet ridden with live goats, chickens. Nothing like a goat tied up under your seat, crying the whole trip. I will not mention the peeing but you don’t put your bags on the floor.


This was one of the more "quaint" tro-tros in the Upper West of Ghana

And one for Munich
All the buses that I’ve ridden on Grenada have working radios and some have air conditioning running during the trip. All have factory seating, even if the seats are rather close together.

If I have the choice I’ll choose the seat behind the drive because of the leg room. About half of the time on the Munich buses that is a mistake because that is also the place for cargo – bags of animal feed or cement going up or produce going down and I’ll be bumped to a different seat.


Oh good, first one on the bus
When at a terminal one typically has to wait for the bus to fill. At a busy time it may take less than 10 minutes for a bus to fill. During other times it might take closer to 30. It is typically a little disappointing to walk up to an empty bus even if that means you can pick your seat.

When the bus is full it is typically full and squeezed in. I’ll not have much leg room or room to move for that matter. However, it is not horrible.


One big happy family

Typical condition of legs of people over 6 feet on a full bus

Most buses have a conductor. This is the person who opens the sliding door, collects the money, and alerts the driver to passengers wanting to drop or to be picked up. Short bus trips, such as the one between Munich and Grenville are $2.50EC. That is the minimum amount, so if I was only going to Mt. Carmel, less than half way to Grenville, I’d still pay $2.50. The trip to St. George’s is $5 or $6 depending on where I drop. Other trips range between these amounts and longer trips may be more.

Buses are not the most convenient mode of transport for someone who doesn’t like to be late. There are no timetables. Buses at the terminal leave when they fill. People dropping and being picked up add to the variation. For someone who is rather serious about not being late (never having converted to African nor Island time) I allocate time for worse case and arrive early, sometimes very early.


When your driver gets and stays in this position for a bit, you might be delayed
Learning about other cultures and all that stuff makes Peace Corps a special experience.  The buses are also not always the most comfortable way to travel. Squeezed in, bumpy trip, driving somehow fast or passing around curves is not that enjoyable. However, you are in the same boat, vehicle, as everyone else.  Most people are nice and an American can also be nice and a good sport about it as well. It is not so bad. I do wonder how the goats travel.

And sometimes you get to stretch out and relax (actually just for the picture, but still)

Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training