Graduation

We had our graduation this past week and it was very nice. All of the 6th grade students will be going on the secondary school. 

Although we are a small school with limited resources the teachers worked hard to make it nice. Various awards were distributed including nice first, second, and third place trophies for each class. After the graduation ceremony in the church we had a luncheon for the students, parents, and invited guests. I was impressed with all the work and resources to celebrate the student’s success.

I didn’t work much with the 6th graders this year, other than some one on one work and a little bit in math. I wish them well.


Theme for the class of 2018

Church decorated

6th grade teacher introducing the graduates

Procession

Priest giving his prayers and blessings

6th graders with their song

Choir singing

Poem for a recently retired teacher
The primary school, obviously, ends at 6th grade. We also have kindergarten and a pre-K program for the younger children. Secondary school is 3 years with an optional 2 years before going on to the college, tertiary, programs. There are also some vocational training programs.

BBQ


We have one more week of school and then two months vacation. Well, I’ve volunteered to help out with a summer program, but that will not be much work. I’m sure I’ll find something to do.

Next year, if all goes according to plan, we will move into the new school building. As mentioned, the school needs to generate some funds to help with the move and to get replacements for things that we can’t take over to the new school.

We had a BBQ on Friday and the teachers worked really hard preparing the food and setting everything up. I did a bit with this and that, but I still don’t understand their seasoning approach. Shadow Benny is very popular. I had no idea what it was. Basically, I’d say it is a West Indies answer to cilantro with a bit more kick.

I played it safe by peeling carrots, cutting the skin off pumpkin, wrapping forks, and a few other things to prepare. During the BBQ I helped out with the bar (beer and soft drinks) during the event.


Teachers preparing the food

Fire for some of the cooking

Yes, men BBQ here as well

OK, so I didn't just help out, but spent some time with a little guy and his letter names and sounds
It was a little rainy during the event and I didn’t think it was really well attended. (We didn’t sell half of the beer.) I started the day at about 9 am and got back home shortly before midnight after helping with the take down.

We need to money to support the new school so I hope we made a bit of a profit once everything is taken into account.


Food tent around the start of the BBQ

Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training