Animal husbandry

I understand that raising animals for food is a horrible idea for some people. And it does take some linguist gymnastics to say that one will raise an animal humanely so it can be slaughtered for food. Factory farming, that brings low cost meat with high costs to animals, people, environment, and food safety has no defense and I would prefer it eliminated. Still, I think animals have a place in the food system in some situations. A well balanced ecosystem has plants, animals, and fungi – a well balanced farm can utilize a similar balance.

I am not an expert in this area as demonstrated by my trial project in Ghana. The people in my part of Ghana were generally protein deficient and so adding meat to the diet was one avenue to improve the situation. Despite the heat they did raise rabbits.


One of the building for rabbits

These did get a bit of sunlight if they wanted
The method generally used in the Upper West where the temperature can get above 115 F was a colony method on dirt or cement in a low mud building. I looked at many examples and the people generally reported good production with periodic collapses of the herd.

Another colony

These were in a very dark and dusty room.  The pottery are used for nest boxes

Raising rabbits on the ground in such buildings did offset the heat. However, most of the rabbits got very little sunlight and fresh air.  It was also hard to monitor the health of individual animals. I thought these factors might be part of the reason for the periodic collapse of the herd.

I wanted to try a cage system. One rabbit raiser was using cages successfully in my area so it could work. The cages would allow more air circulation and allow individual animals to be better monitored. However, the cages would likely be hotter and rabbit breeding would be more involved as the bucks and does would be in separate cages. With the full confidence of an American I went off and built a set of cages.


My cages.  Three on the lower level and two on top.

I wasn’t able to give the project as much attention as I would have liked and roaming dogs gave the rabbits a lot of attention – including somehow mangling the foot of one. My rabbits didn’t do well, possibly because they were used to being on the ground. One doe completely ignored the nest box I provided and lost the entire litter.

After I left I believe that my cages were converted to a chick coop. So not a complete loss.


Rabbit cages on Dominica.  It's almost like I know what I'm talking about

This hasn’t stopped me from continuing to build rabbit cages as my recent trip to Dominica demonstrated. Individual rabbits in cages is certainly not the only option, but is a way to selective breed stock and control production. Still, rabbits are social animals so a colony method also has benefits.

A good looking pig in Nandom.  Most animals free range during the dry season.

A sow and her last offspring

Many people raise pigs in my part of Ghana. A farmer had just one sow (female) and was happy when one of her boars (male) mated and she got pregnant again. The litter wasn’t great and several died young. This is the way he did it as he didn’t have many other options even though genetics were not on his side.

Another person, with a bit more money, was interested in improving the breed of pigs in the area and brought in some Long Whites. I don’t know how the breed did as I ended my service soon after he got them.


Long Whites at another piggery

But breeds that are good at converting quality feed into meat might not be good in a “free range” situation common in developing conditions. (Much like hybrid seeds needing more fertilizers.) Selecting breeds that thrive in the environment and feed conditions is important.  Selective breeding can help with the adaptation.  It is also useful to periodically introduce new breeding stock.

I’ve not seen many pigs around Munich but a lot of goats, typically tied up. I’m not thrilled with the practice with dogs running so freely, but then I didn’t like goats eating my garden which happened both in Ghana and Grenada. 


I did like the roadway maintenance method in the Netherlands with a simple fence and sheep. (Goats might not be deterred by such an easy fence to set up and take down.) I’m told that sheep sometimes, but rarely, escape. There is also improved portable solar electric fencing that goats could learn to avoid but the rapidly growing grass in the tropics might be a problem shorting out the fence.

Common sight in The Netherlands.  The sheep are moved every few days eliminating the need for mowers.

Larger animals require more resources of course. There is a good looking bull tied up around the place, sometimes near the school, but there are certainly a lot more goats around.

There was a poverty reduction attempt some years ago in the Upper West by bringing in some cattle for the farmers. (Cattle are still around with the semi-nomadic Fulani.) I was told that the cattle killed a lot of the trees before dying in the climate with limited forage material in the dry season. Best intentions by outsiders might cause more harm than good in the long run.

That is a concern for a Peace Corps volunteer. We try to provide some different options so local people, who will be there long after we leave, can improve their own situation. With that in mind I think a few points about animal husbandry can be mentioned in closing:


  1. Housing and protection for the animals should be adequate and easily cleaned and inspected.
  2. Food and water requirements should be understood and available
  3. Record keeping related to care and breeding is helpful.
  4. Humane care of the animals is helpful.
  5. Beyond honey, dairy, and eggs - animals for food will eventually be slaughtered. This can be performed with care and reverence.
I’m not an expert on rearing animals for food. However, I wanted to mention it in the series and hope that those involved in the practice, or thinking about getting involved, have access to information and support from local experts. The rapidly growing year round grass on many parts of the islands is a useful resource.

Kenyan flat top bee hive 

Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training