Eastern Caribbean Close of Service - maybe

Near the end of the two years of service Peace Corps holds the COS (Close of Service) conference. While other training might be at places with few niceties – the COS conference tends to be at a nice place. We still have two people to a room, but in Ghana and in the Eastern Caribbean both places had a nice pool. Well the pool was nice by Ghana standards, and I thought I had a picture of the Ghana pool...

Center for the Ghana COS (Obviously in the southern half of the country)

OK, the pool was bigger at this hotel
There are several reasons for the conference. Of course there is paperwork that has to be completed before you can leave a Federal agency. One of the major documents is the Description of Service (DOS) that is held by the Peace Corps for something like 50 years. This is the document that describes what we did and is useful for people looking for work in the Federal Government (and for other reasons).  So a one to two page essay with a bit of standard verbiage around training hours and such. 

Thank goodness there was flip chart paper
There were end of service medical tests and they again included stool samples. Thank you tropics.

It is also a time to talk about how to reintegrate in the states. Many of the younger volunteers are going to grad school and some already have jobs – so these people will be jumping from one thing to another. However, other people are traveling or looking at other options. Regardless, everyone will have a transition to get back to life in the states: being able to drive, back with family and friends (who might notice a change in the person), and real American shopping. These transitions sounds easy, but are not always smooth in the first few weeks.


Certificates for service to Grenada.  I also got a certificate for serving in Dominica for too short a time
It is also a time to say goodbye to those who shared this experience before everyone scatters. We are scattered over three, I wish it was four, islands and this is the last time we will be in one place. 

Due to Maria and other situations we had a number of people leave early - some by their own decision, some beyond their control - so it was also sad to see our ranks thinned.  To all thanks for your service.

Group from Grenada


Social media is nice and reduces some of the worries about loosing track of people. During the conference I sent messages to several friends from Ghana for instance.

One final thing about the COS conference that is very important to Peace Corps Volunteer: Food is provided. Most days we had breakfast and lunch in the hotel and got an allowance to find dinner. That worked out fine for me. With all the food in the Caribbean I switched to two normal meals a day to maintain my weight. And yes I know I could cut back and still eat three a day. However, that would require cooking for one, one more time. And anyway, a lot of people only have one or two major meals a day, so it is not much a burden.


Required picture of food.
I had requested to extend a third year to complete my service on Dominica. However, that was rejected for some reason that I understand as well as not being allowed to return in the first place. The Peace Corps is the Federal Government and you can’t fight it, can’t always understand it. But I knew that going in. Life is about challenges to be faced and to make improvements when possible, but not to get angry and bitter when the road is blocked.  One day at a time.

We have several people extending either to remain in the school or to otherwise serve Peace Corps for a third year

My school in Munich would like me to stay one more year and we are going into a new school next week. If I can find some good secondary projects then I think a third year would be valuable to me and the students, school, community.

Extending a third year would also give all those people I’ve told that I have a second bedroom more time to plan a visit.

My extension is not a sure thing, but what is in life? I’ll give updates as I get more information.


We made it!!

Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training