Moving to the new school - Not

Assembly
This was supposed to be an easy post, planned over a month ago. I was to have pictures of the new school and of the Prime Minister and various other dignitaries opening it up to happy parents, excited children, and relieved teachers. And this was still the plan when I left for the COS conference. 

The plan was for Monday and Tuesday this past week to be set aside for final packing and teachers moving the school over while students enjoyed an extra long weekend. We were certainly going to have the opening ceremony on Wednesday or Thursday. And then we could start revisions in the new school on the following Monday.

When I returned to school on Monday there was a decided lack of packing. Rather, I found students coming to school expecting a lesson. So much for communication.

I haven’t discovered why it didn’t happen. No one seems to know. On Wednesday one of my students asked expectantly if the Prime Minister would be coming that day so I realized that the students hadn’t be told anything either. When I asked about this I was told we don’t know what is happening so no announcement had been made.

I gave my students the news that the Prime Minister wasn’t coming and that the teachers didn’t know when we would be moving. The students were very upset.

Luckily, I had a lesson ready and so they could enjoy the thrilling topic on probability and the chance of picking red or green blocks from Mr. John’s hat. Later in the week they heard about the final topic – symmetry – which I think is another amazing topic. I’ve always liked symmetry and it seems appropriate to teach it as the last lesson on the term.


Revisions


Games
Review for some of the KG kids

Although we have 5 weeks of school left we start final exams on the week of June 10th. 

As I’m responsible for math, I need to write the final exam which is to be sent to the department of education when graded. With some help from the teachers I finished it on Friday.

Many of the teachers are ahead of me, being able to reuse tests from last year (We couldn’t find the 3rd grade math exam until I had just about finished a new one.) Most teachers had already started with revisions while I was still teaching.

In addition, the sixth graders have already taken their entrance exam to secondary school, so they are pretty much done for the year. This means there are a lot of children with extra time on their hands.

I had brought back a connect-4 knock-off game from my trip home over Christmas. It is very popular and with more free time a lot of different classes want to have (and keep) the game. I remind the children to take care of it and take proper turns. It has survived reasonable well. (Although, I’ve had to reglue the wooden game twice). However, in the week I was gone two of the pieces came up and stayed missing. Other games (with a lot more pieces missing) are also around for the times when I say no about taking the 4 in a row game.

It is nice seeing the children more relaxed. I’ve been able to work with some of the students one on one during this time.

Next week, my students will review the various topics and prepare for the tests – there are to be two math exams a week apart. And then a paperwork, graduations, and outings. And maybe packing and moving for all I know.


Ready for work

Phonics review

Sometimes you just need a little rest

Water


My site is very easy, but this is still Peace Corps and so I need something to remind me of that fact. Luckily, the water company has come up with a simply brilliant idea of turning my water off and on. This past week being more off that on. This is not terrible because as I’ve said I have a water tank suitable for a small African village.

Water tank and some vetiver in the foreground that will be trimmed and planted soon


So I have running, or at least walking, water. Either because the height of the tank or the diameter of the pipes the pressure is rather low. The water comes slowly out of the tap making washing the dishes and rinsing off the soap in the shower rather tedious.

In the shower there are times I think it would just be easier to take a bucket bath, as I did in Ghana, but then I think of how long it would take to fill the bucket half way for the bath. Anyway, it is not so bad and many many people have it much much worse.



Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training