Selling a house at a distance

A nice home for many years.
Some Peace Corps volunteers, particularly those in the 50+ crowd have considerations before and during service that are uncommon among volunteers recently graduated from college.

Many own houses.  Some rent them out during service. After service they may decide to continue to keep it as an investment property, move back in, or sell it. Some volunteers go through downsizing and selling their house before going into service.

I had planned on keeping my house and selling it after I returned from Ghana and before my tour. As with all big decisions there were many factors involved in not selling it before leaving for Africa. And with most plans this one changed so I wasn’t ready to sell it when I returned from Ghana either.



This also means goodbye to the community center and pools
I am happy that I kept my home for a bit longer. However, around last Christmas it was time to put it on the market. I went home and organized a few things but left most of the work to my children.

No need to shovel snow without a home.  That and living in the tropics

Although a snow covered scene can be beautiful
I was very blessed that one of my sons could handle a lot of the things related to getting the house sold. He worked very hard moving stuff out and getting the house ready to sell. He took on Power of Attorney and got to sign a long name during closing last Thursday. He handled a few last minute things easily. I don’t know how I would have done it without his help.

Other volunteers I’ve talked with have a brother, sister, or management company they trust to manage the property or help with whatever. If you are going to keep a house while overseas, you obviously need someone to look in on it. If something needs to be notarized overseas the US Embassy or consulate can be used, whereas I did that stuff over Christmas visit.

Selling a home is a big deal of course. There are many memories, good and bad, with a home of so many years. It was mine, my wife’s, and kids’ home longer than any place has ever been my home, likely longer than any place ever will be again.


Long enough for an apple tree to grow and mature
Home has a special meaning for me. I know some volunteers call their site their home during service. My place in Ghana was never my home, always my site. A site and a people that I loved and cared about. Well, with the camel spiders and the roosters outside my bedroom window perhaps I loved the people perhaps a bit more than the building. :-)

Not really dangerous, but so big and ugly

Roosters start the racket long before sunrise.  Also note a guinea fowl

Peace Corps service is great, but it is temporary. I’m not setting down roots. I am branching out in connections that I would not others make. I’m happy with the overall goal of world peace and friendship, even with all the issues that arise in Peace Corps service. Trying to make the world a better place, what else should I be doing at this point?

So now I’m without a home. I’m so much better than those suffering true homelessness and there is not comparison, but after the closing - something is now lost. And I suppose, something is gained (besides that money that I will save for the future). There is always some next step that awaits.

For now, I just want to get the kids through their final exams starting on Tuesday after the Monday holiday.



Love always,
John

Comments

  1. It looks like it was journey throughout this experience for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training