Third week home


I spent this third week at Samantha's place. Seeing her in the morning and evening and being alone in the apartment with the computer and the television during the day was an interesting compared to life at site. Note to self – don't get a television – it is a big waste of time.

Samantha has a fairly long commute so I did not drive and pick her up. Therefore I did not have a car during the day. Without a car I took some walks during the day – the closest store is about eight blocks away. I noticed that the America culture of limited greetings was different from Ghana. Even the minor, good afternoon greeting, was surprising to some. Walking past someone without talking is normal in the states but abnormal and rude in Ghana. The greetings and conversations in Ghana can be exhausting, but I think it is better. I think my dad would have fit in well in Ghana in that respect.

I'm doing what I can to help with the wedding, but Samantha and Brandon have it pretty well under control. I'm staying over the weekend so Samantha and I can spend time together. I will be getting out of her hair on Monday and taking the car to St. Louis to spend time with Chris, Missy, and Andy. I'm also planning to catch up with some previous coworkers. Life as a middle class African villager in West Africa is still preferred to corporate life from my perspective – it is a harder life but much more fulfilling – I am making a difference.

After the wedding I'll be heading back to Ghana – the fortune cookie that I got with dinner this week seems appropriate.



As a Peace Corps volunteer our posts are temporary. By policy volunteers generally spend between two and three years in country and then go back to school, work, something else. It is true that some volunteers find foreign service jobs with government agencies or non-government organizations - stay living and working abroad long after their Peace Corps service. However, most go back to school or work back in the states.

Also by policy most American employees are only allowed to stay for five years at a time – spending as much time away from Peace Corps as with Peace Corps if they want to return to work more than the five years.

The Peace Corps is definitely a “journey position” as a volunteer or employee – it is not a lifetime destination job.

I enjoy my time and relationships in Ghana and enjoy my work as a volunteer. However, it is not my home – it is just part of my journey. Moving from my stable life with roots put down in St. Louis to a Peace Corps volunteer has forced me to downsize and release many of my needs – finding that I don't actually need them. This is liberating – but it is commonly confusing and frustrating.

My month back in the states provides a stark reminder of what I was liberated from. Television, driving, the ease of getting a variety of foods, hot showers, family, friends, and countless other things are nice.  However, other people live without these things and I will return there for the last year of my service.


Health


I still have a cough and a bit of sinus infection – still nothing major. My right shoulder is not feeling better. It looks like I will be seeing the PCMO on my return.


Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training