School is out and enskinment of the village chief and the queen mother



I got all the grades completed and helped with the final paperwork.  Now I have free time, but I find myself on the road to Accra soon to have my tooth looked at.  I did not want to go down during the holidays, but there is nothing to be done about that now.


On Saturday we had a ceremony that installed the village chief and the queen mother.  The two people are not related and typically not related.  The local chief has a lot of power as they were set up by the British to help with administration.  The queen mother is responsible for women issues and in some places helps to decide or even is responsible for choosing the next chief.  Both appointments are for life.

In the local language the chief is called Naa and the queen mother is called Pognaa (Pog being woman).  The program, below, said that Mass would start of 9:30.  In African time it started at 10:30.  The paramount Chief, the head chief in the area came during the sermon much to the frustration of the priest.

Program for the ceremony.  It all finished up around 2:30 pm.
Overall the ceremony was nice, but rather long.  Everything in Dagaree and I was in the background so I had trouble hearing and seeing (and taking pictures).




Every event and ceremony needs a wooden xylophone

And drums

The new Pognaa and Naa (Queen Mother and Chief)  Not related to each other.

Here the Paramount chief with hands on the shoulders is sitting the new chief in his chair three time.  The ceremony is also called enstoolment.

Other queen mothers from other villages.  The basked and tail are symbols of their office.

Health

I find my tooth is getting worse, so I’m heading down to Accra.  It was a trip that I had hoped to put off until after New Year’s, but that is not in the cards.  Same health issues – shoulder and such – nothing serious – just annoying….

Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training