Tamale and Food Security Meeting

Selfie and the TSO

I spent the week in Tamale – at the Peace Corps sub-office.  I arrived on Monday and will leave early next week after I get my flu shot.  So, I’ll be away from my village for a week give or take.  That is longer than I would like, but the break is also nice.

Six people on the Food Security Task Force came together to discuss the efforts by Peace Corps to improve food security and to examine how we can improve resources for volunteer to work in this area and plan for upcoming training.  So while this may seem like trying to solve world hunger – it is exactly like working to solve world hunger.

The topic is obviously complicated with a lot of different efforts such as: improving the soil, selecting improved seed varieties, improving farming and animal husbandry practices, reducing post-harvest loss, improving nutritional practices for children, and a host of other ideas.

Obviously, a volunteer spending 2 years at site is not going to solve the world’s problems or even the village’s problems, or even the neighbor’s problems.  However, many volunteers are making small steps to demonstrate an improvement, provided training and reinforcement during their service, and able to leave with a sense of contribution to the greater good.  (My dark side would also add – while knowing that not everything will stick and unexpected issues may arise in the future to turn back the progress.)

Still, join the Peace Corp and (slowly) solve world hunger!!

TSO – Tamale Sub-office


Because Ghana is so large we have two sub-offices for volunteers to work and sleep over while traveling.  One is  in Tamale.  When I travel I need to wait for a tro in Nandom to get to Wa, a 2 hour trip in the tro, wait in Wa for a tro to Tamale, a 5 hour trip in the tro, and a short ride to get to the office.  Not a bad travel by Ghana standards.

In theory I could then travel on to Accra and avoid an overnight trip, but it would be an early departure that would arrive late if everything went well.

The office itself is a place to hang out, get work done on the computers and wi-fi, and talk with other volunteers in a casual setting.  It provides a nice break from life in the village, but I wish this trip was not so long.  I particularly like the discussion of world events and such with the other volunteers.
 
Art work at the TSO






Harmattan


The harmattan has started.  This is the north, north easterly wind that blows the dust from the Sahara Desert over parts of Western Africa from now until February or so.  The dust was really got bad one day with a thick white haze in the air.

A picture of Tamale showing the white haze (dust) that fills the air


During these days you feel the dust in the mouth, eyes, and nose.  It also settles over everything.  The air gets dry so your lips and skin also suffers.  Many people develop a cough to add to the enjoyment of the season.  This is one of those things that you just deal with.

Note: The really really bad days can happen several times during the season from December to February, but they don’t tend to last for an extended period – so it is bearable.  This is my second season so I’m not that worried about it.  One adjusts and survives.

Laundry


I do my laundry by hand.   For me this means soaking my cloths in a bucket or basin and then rubbing the cloth together to get out the dirt.  This can be hard of the fabric, particularly in areas where there is frequent embedded dirt, such as the collar.  I noticed the collar of one of the shirts that I wear frequent has seen better days.  I tried to take a picture to show the tattered inner collar, but it was not that clear so you will just need to use your imagination.  At least it is on the inside collar so I can still wear the shirt.

If I need a replacement shirt I can start looking in the piles of cloths (from Europe and America) that they sell at the markets. 


Health


My shoulder is worse but not horrible.  I will be talking to the doctor about it early this week.  I’m hoping to go see the physical therapist for some time between school terms and after Christmas and New Year’s.

My sinus, ears, and eyes are feeling the impact of the dry and dusty conditions, but nothing significant.

My tooth ache that was bothering me for some time has gotten better on its own so it might have been referral pain from sinus pressure or some other acute issue, rather than a serious dental problem.  I might just let that rest and see what happens.


Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training