Going to the Monastery



No word as of Wednesday from medical.  Peace Corps doctors said it was OK to go to the monastery for a short visit while I wait for the final test results and word of my diagnosis and planned treatment.  I will return to Accra on Monday or continue on to my site depending on what the doctors want.  I’m eager to get back to site and my work but also eager to get rid of this cough and other nagging though minor health issues.

I’m hoping to use the time at the monastery as a spiritual retreat.  So I wrote this short post early and scheduled its posting in case I’m unable to post while at the monastery.  I hope to have pictures and something interesting to say next week. 

Another reason to go the monastery is to see if a change in environment helps.  My cough got noticeably better at the COS conference and got a little worse once I spent a few days in Accra. 

I hope to have some health answers and how this might impact my future health by my next post.  Until then I continue to remain happy with decision to join and stay in the Peace Corps.  I am looking forward to going back to my site to help the people there and get ready for my replacement and pack up and make travel arrangement home.  I have a lot to do in the next few months.

We had to select two “close of service” dates - my two were in early and mid-August.  I’ve not yet made travel arrangements as I want to better understand the health issues before making plans.  I would like to resolve the issues as much as possible while I'm still a Peace Corps volunteer.  The Peace Corps will pay treatment of service related issues after my service – particularly in the first month – but then there would be paperwork and scheduling issues. 

Health

My cough and congestion returned slightly after returning to Accra.  My shoulders are also starting to hurt again with some minor restriction in movement.  I continue to work on stretching and exercises, but I think some physical therapy might help.

Love always,

John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training