Spending Time in Accra


The Peace Corps doctors want me to stay in Accra as this cough is worked out – so I’ve been here the entire week.  So far they have ruled out major things like Tb, pneumonia, and cancer.   The good news is that it got better by mid-week.  The bad news it has gotten worse over the weekend.  Monday is a holiday in Ghana so I’ll see the doctor on Tuesday.  (I will send a status update message today to let them know about the decline.)

The cough seems to be some allergic response.  I’ve also taken a dewormer.  I know that some people are not thrilled with the mention of worms, and they can be serious, but living in the tropics it comes with the territory (well environment).  (For those brave souls: you can google roundworm and lung.) Talking about worms and other small parasites is just table talk with Peace Corps volunteers.  The treatment is relatively simply.  No worries.

Now that I’ve been in Accra for a week I am actually getting some allergic response – sinus stuff and itchy eyes – which may be contributing to the cough.  Hopefully, it will all get worked out early in the week....

Because I plan a small trip to a Benedictine monastery near the end of the week.  (Note: I will be radio silent next weekend.)  The monastery should be a nice place for a short retreat and to relax.  Many secular volunteers visit the place in large part for the scenery of the area.  Short excursions to waterfalls and hills will be a nice change from the flat dry savannah region of my site.  That will be nice but I'm really looking for the spiritual side of the space - chatting and praying with the monks.

I’m in the next group to COS


After the monastery visit I will be attending the Close of Service (COS) conference for my group.  The conference that covers how to successfully complete our service (fill out the paperwork) and to transition back into America.  After COS many of the people in my group will be going to graduate school.  I’m still planning my next step.  Certainly, the initial next step will be spending time with family and friends.

Because Ghana has three sectors (Health, Education, Agriculture) that start service 4 months apart the volunteers also depart in groups 4 months apart.  During my recent time in Accra I’ve been able to say good bye to a number of dedicated volunteers – some going off to graduate school, some going on to serve as Peace Corps Response Volunteers, and some going off to relax before taking their next step.

Being able to say good bye to these volunteers have been nice.  However, being away from site has been difficult.  On the plus side this is during the school break so I’m not missing classes.  On the down side I’m not able to open the library and help students with their studies.

It has not yet completely sunk in that I will be in the next group to depart Accra after two years. 

After the COS conference I will be back to site - after a long and unexpected period of 3 weeks away.  After the COS conference I will be staying a site to teach, finish up things like getting more books for the library (there well be a Peace Corps fund raising project for this), and making the place ready for the next and last volunteer to the place.

Health


As mentioned, they still are not sure of the cause of the cough.  It was getting much better, but now with the increased humidity in the south I think I’m getting some sinus allergies that may aggravate the recovery.  Two steps forward and one step back.

I’m a one day at a time sort of person so I am just taking this in stride (one step at a time) and figure that there is some reason or opportunity for me to be in one place or another.

Love always,

John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training