Kristo Buase Monastery


View from a large cave on the groups of the monastery.
Selfie in front of an arch.  I so need a hair cut

I was at the Kristo Buase Benedictine Monastery from the 19th to the 23rd.  I spent the entire time on the monastery grounds relaxing and joining in with the prayers when my cough allowed.  It was very pleasant.  One minor disappointment was the limited time to be able to discuss things with the monks.  They hold to silence for most of the time as part of their practice.  I did have a nice chat for about an hour on Saturday with some of the monks and a nice shat on Sunday after mass with the priest.

I highly recommend a short stay for those visiting Ghana.  There are also plenty of other sites in the area that come highly recommended.  More information is on their website: http://www.kristobuasemonastery.org/

The monastery was established in 1989 on about 400 acres.  The monastery is surrounded by sandstone outcroppings.  There are a number of arches, double arches, and caves formed in the sandstone by erosion over the eons. 

Some of the cultivated ground is devoted to orchards and forests – mostly inter-cropped.  Native species of plants are also common and valued.  The monks are working to become self-sufficient.  They also have an agricultural outreach to the local farmers to help improve regional diversity, sustainability and profitability.  The monks have cashew, mango, orange, star fruit, banana, moringa and other trees – including timber and medicinal trees.

Cashew fruit.  The fruit is about the size of a fist

The cashew nut hangs down from the fruit.  The major focus is the nut, but it is hard to process so the farmers generally sell the raw unshelled nut and the majority of the profit is gained farther up the value chain.  In most cases the fruit is discarded.  The monks make a number of very tasty jams with the cashew and other fruits.  And what sort of monks would they be if they did not brew and distill alcohol?  Cashew fruit wine and brandy.

The monks also have fields for corn, squash, yams, and other crops.  I was a little surprised at the lack of livestock, but they don’t eat much meat anyway.  I saw only one chicken during my visit and eggs were never on the menu.  Rather than the rooster crowing at 4 in the morning the monks have a bell for Lauds (morning prayers).

Butterfly gathering nectar - just outside the back door of my cell (room)

 I was told that they previously had swine for income, but the animals took too much time so they halted.  I also heard that the number of monks is on the increase in the last couple of years (currently less than 20) so perhaps they will be able to restart that and expand other areas that are working as their population increases.

I wish them thanks and God’s blessing on their work.

Back in Accra


As my cough is still hanging around I was back in Accra on Monday.  It has now been a month away from site.  This is the luggage I’ve had for this month.  On Wednesday I was able to leave Accra to go back to my site.

Small backpack and my computer case with travel pillow.  And water bottle of course.


I’m working with two pairs of pants, one pair of shorts, three shirts and two tee-shirts and three pairs of underwear.  So I’m pretty much washing something about every day.

Health


My cough and congestion returned slightly after returning to Accra.  My shoulders are also starting to hurt again with some minor restriction in movement.  I continue to work on stretching and exercises, but I think some physical therapy might help.

I’ve started some new meds that seems to be helping and the Peace Corps has a new game plan for the cough and such.  I will have more information about it next week.

Love always,
John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training