Getting a job



This post explores my next step – getting a part time job while hoping to return to the Peace Corps within a year.

Changes in the computer field


I spent about 30 years sitting behind a desk working with computers.  I had a lot of fun most of the time – designing and programming advanced systems, performing software research into real-time databases and machine learning, along with performance analysis and capacity planning. 

After two years in the Peace Corps, I was less interested in returning to sit behind a desk and focus on working with computer systems – as much as I like the work and the people – and respect those current doing that important work.  I hope to be able to use my expertise in some future capacity – for the right organization sometime in the future.

Finding a job


When I returned to the states I was hoping to quickly transition into a Peace Corps Response position that would have already started, but I was not selected.  I now hope to have the opportunity to serve again as a Peace Corps Volunteer next year.  My ideal life for the foreseeable future would be to serve as a Peace Corps or Response volunteer and then after service visit family, friends, and the world for six to nine months before going back to volunteering.

After visiting family and friends this summer my plans to visit Europe needed to be put on hold so I found myself with time on my hands.  I wanted a job to get me out of the house and to be around people.  The money was not much of a concern.

My criteria were that the job needed to be close and working with people.  I had hoped for work supporting volunteers or those retired.  I ended up with a job as a cashier at a local supermarket.  I enjoy the job and meeting so many people so that is the main thing.

Some people who know me will wonder how I can work at a job that is only part time and pays nearly minimum wage.  I could have gotten some work in my career field that paid much more if money was my top priority – but I’m embarrassed to say that I’m not working for the money.  I enjoy meeting and chatting with many different people as I ring up their groceries.

Health


I’ve not had any problem with coughing and nothing else is bothering me.  I’m able to go to the gym in our subdivision clubhouse at least three days a week so I’m getting exercise and working to build up my upper body strength and maintain cardo-vascular health.

Love always,

John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training