Invited to Eastern Caribbean!!



I am excited to report that I have been invited to serve as a Primary English Literacy volunteer in the Eastern Caribbean leaving around the end of May next year.  This is a 2 year position, about 26 months with 9 weeks of pre-service training (PST).  

My primary project will be working in an elementary school to help improve English skills.  This will be similar and different from my previous Ghana junior high experience teaching math and computers.  I will research possible secondary projects that might work in the region so I have some options once I get settled and understand the unique situation of my village.

While the Eastern Caribbean will have nice tourist resorts and great beaches that will not be where I will spend my time.  Peace Corps is focused on the needs of the local population.  I will have modest living standards but should have water and electricity most of the time.  I’m so looking forward to it.  I will be doing a lot of walking up and down hills as I can expect to be in the interior of the island  (but closer than the 18 hour trip from my site to the beach in Ghana).  And there should be trees (nothing against the flat savannah region I loved in Ghana)!

I now have to complete medical and legal clearance so there is still a lot of work and a chance I might not be accepted, but that is a rather remote possibilities.

Still, unfortunately remote possibilities are possible as has been recently demonstrated.

I applied for this Peace Corps Volunteer position in May while I was still in Ghana.  The application deadline did not close until October.  My interview was this Wednesday.  I was told my deadline to get an invite or rejection was Dec. 1st, but should hear within a couple of weeks.  I would have three days to accept or reject the invitation if it was extended.

I don't check my emails daily and figure I would be waiting a couple of weeks and so I was completely surprised when I checked my email Saturday morning to see that my invite had been sitting in my inbox for two days.

Even though I’m a returned Peace Corps Volunteer (RPCV) – I still go through basically the same process – I had to apply, pass the interview and receive an invitation.  Now I have to complete all the medical tasks (not yet sure what they are but glad I have ACA (Obamacare) insurance), and legal tasks.  I have a Peace Corps passport but it expires Feb. 2019 – so as my service is expected to last from May ’17 to July ’19 (and possibly longer if I extend) – I will need to apply for another one.

There is also additional paperwork to give more information about myself so the post can prepare for my pre-service training (PST).

Health


Looking forward to getting medical clearance to serve.  Since I had to medivac from Ghana I’m guessing they will look closely at my medical history.  Luckily – they should have all of it.

Love always,

John

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pito – brewed millet

Yam harvesting

Mid-service Training